Home » xyzzy » Tower » Always go for the new ones (Which is better, a refurbished or new laptop?)
Always go for the new ones [message #83948] Sun, 20 November 2016 08:22 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I have bought refurbished computers twice before and the experience has not been the best. A tech-friend of mine put the lifespan of refurbished computers at two years. I am looking to buy a brand new one this time round.
Re: Always go for the new ones [message #83950 is a reply to message #83948] Mon, 21 November 2016 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think that's the best option as well. You can get a package like this: http://intl.target.com/p/linsay-7-new-quad-core-tablet-with-purple-keyboard-exclusive-bundle/-/A-51033725?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Electronics+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Electronics&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9051933&gclid=CjwKEAiAsMXBBRD71KWOh6fcjRwSJAC5CNE1_Wt0fChu2U5aYxUIhcUVBi1JptMRtn0oUrJWr6JBBRoCsb3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

For under $100. New, not refurbished.

Sorry, I don't know how to make the link shorter.

Re: Always go for the new ones [message #83956 is a reply to message #83950] Mon, 21 November 2016 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have bought both new and refurbs. No problems. You do need to find a qualified authorized refurbisher / reseller though. Get only name brand refurbs. Even with refurbs you get what you pay for.....if it is real cheap then expect problems. One thing to keep in mind is that a two year old refurb is no longer state of the art. A refurb I3 or an AMD quad core will not run the newest software nearly as well on one that is new. Personally I would not get anything less than an I5 or AMD 6-8 core. With 8GB of ram and a 250G solid state drive. A bigger drive or duals (one SS and one spinner) is even better. If all you do is Email and light searching (no video down loads) then pretty much any of the newer Chrome Books will do. They are cheap and if they break in two years then just chuck em in the hopper.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Always go for the new ones [message #83960 is a reply to message #83948] Tue, 22 November 2016 11:54 Go to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Considering the link that Kingfish laid on us, you can get something new for as cheap as a refurb.

But yeah, I don't buy a computer so I can be a part-time computer tech and troubleshoot the periodic problem. I'll buy new for that fact alone.
Previous Topic: What can you never lend to your friend?
Next Topic: One thing you can't live without
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:24:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout