Home » Audio » Source » soliciting turntable purchase and record care advice
soliciting turntable purchase and record care advice [message #11913] Wed, 09 February 2005 01:29 Go to next message
crimedawg is currently offline  crimedawg
Esquire
Looking for a turntable. Old Thorens 165 died. It was a slow death.

Here's what I'll be playing through: Marantz 4320 Receiver. Mission Diamond 8.1 bookshelf speakers. No sub because I live upstairs in a smallish apartment in the city.

My collection: roughly 300 pieces of vinyl. Old bluenote jazz (heavy on the horns) inherited from wife's grandpops. Organ jazz. Hefty amount of classy rock like Zep, The Who, Neil Young, Tull. 80s rock and some punk stuff. Also a fair amount of reggae vinyl, some of it vintage 70s stuff. I try to take care of my disks and store them carefully. I do not, however own a cleaner (apart from a brush and buttle of stuff).

Lets say I've got $500 to spend on my rig. How would you allocate? I see some interesting options at $300 price point. Maybe then drop some $ on a cleaning system? New paper sleeves for those old records? Not sure if my receiver rig (although I really do like it) calls for a higher end table.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Re: soliciting turntable purchase and record care advice [message #11914 is a reply to message #11913] Wed, 09 February 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cooper338 is currently offline  Cooper338
Esquire
Crimedawg:

I like the Audio Technica AT-PL120 turntable ($220, incl. shipping)that I purchased recently off of eBay. It has a line-out/preamp switch which allows you to hook the turntable up directly to a computer in case you plan to do any transfers to CD. However, I'm planning to replace the supplied cartridge with a Shure M97xE ($70). If you plan on playing 78s, you could also purchase a Shure M78s cartridge, which is made specifically for that purpose ($40). That leaves you about $170 for cleaning supplies and accessories. Maybe you could even get lucky and find a used Nitty Gritty Cleaning Machine on eBay.

It sure is fun spending other people's money!

Coop

Re: soliciting turntable purchase and record care advice [message #11915 is a reply to message #11913] Wed, 09 February 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Allow me. The question you need to ask is are you going to purchase more vinyl. 300 records of stuff you like is a healthy collection. The key is stuff you like.
You like your 4320, don't self-limit your choice of table based on the reciever. If you like it; you will like it more with a better table.
If you will be expanding your collection in the future you might want to consider something with a large base of support such as Rega or VPI; lots of tables out there as well as parts and tech support.
I feel any reasonable table for 500$ will sound good. It's a question of whats avialable in your area. 300$ is pushing it, no table will have a decent arm for that price. And the arm impacts on your records.
Used is tough; unless you plan on upgrading. You won't know if some guy dropped the platter onto the bearing or twisted the arm while installing his cartridge at some point in it's life.
Are you committed to belt-drive?
Then if so a used Rega well cared for is a good option, the main bearing is inexpensive to replace if need be.
Which tables are you looking at?
I use Disc Doctor cleaning system as do many on this site. Look through the posts and there are very detailed threads on cleaning and storing.

Re: soliciting turntable purchase and record care advice [message #11919 is a reply to message #11915] Wed, 09 February 2005 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Manual block is right on with this one, source mods make the most impact. I'd put the money in a better table arm cart combo. Spend about 80.00 on the disc doctor stuff,put the rest towards the table.
Vinyl nirvana can hook you up with restored AR tables, a used VPI Jr would be a good choice. As funds allow you can still buy the upgrades. Plenty of support.

Russellc

Re: soliciting turntable purchase and record care advice [message #11920 is a reply to message #11919] Wed, 09 February 2005 17:58 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The disc doctor stuff cannot be believed in terms of result for the small amount of money involved. for all of you out there who have not invested in a proper cleaning machine, you will not believe the difference of cleaned albums. The disc doctor stuff cleans as good as anything. Your albums will sound noticeably better after a proper cleaning, even albums that I thought to be clean. Not only does it get rid of lots of noise, the midrange really clears up in a most pleasant way.

Russellc

Previous Topic: Old Dual with motor problems
Next Topic: BSR help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 04:35:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers