Home » Audio » Radio » Switching channels solution
Switching channels solution [message #83843] Mon, 31 October 2016 10:02 Go to next message
Rodial
Chancellor
Recently, I've been getting this problem more often. The radio channels will start jumping and I will end up with a cross-breed of 2-3 channels. Is there any simple way to fix this?
Re: Switching channels solution [message #83848 is a reply to message #83843] Tue, 01 November 2016 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, What is the equipment?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Switching channels solution [message #83855 is a reply to message #83843] Thu, 03 November 2016 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rodial
Chancellor
I am not quite sure about the specifics but it is a regular dash receiver that came fitted in my car. The brand is Pioneer.
Re: Switching channels solution [message #83865 is a reply to message #83855] Thu, 03 November 2016 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
That is rather odd. Based on how a lot of gear works I suspect either voltage fluctuation or interference. I would rate the voltage issue more likely though. It is likely that there is some sort of power filtering in the unit or in the wiring going to it. That would be the first place to check. A bad ground connection there might cause the problems. A bad filter could also introduce EMI into the unit and fool it into thinking it was some sort of change signal. If the unit has remote control capability then it is also possible that something is tricking it into changing. I know these are rather general concepts and the average person will not be able to check on them. I would expect that the best way to solve the problem is to take it in for service. Likely a costly experience. It might be cheaper to just replace it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Switching channels solution [message #83892 is a reply to message #83843] Sun, 06 November 2016 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rodial
Chancellor
You are absolutely right about these concepts being a bit challenging for someone like myself. I'll look to see what its replacement will cost me; if, like you had mentioned, it's on the higher side, I'll just leave it alone as it doesn't bug me enough to justify a costly replacement.
Re: Switching channels solution [message #84201 is a reply to message #83892] Tue, 27 December 2016 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
With the electrical systems in cars getting more complex, I can see this being a common issue. Cross-overs of 2 to 3 channels doesn't sound like the typical outside interference.
Re: Switching channels solution [message #84202 is a reply to message #84201] Tue, 27 December 2016 15:45 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think Bruce was suggesting looking into the common problems that you can check. Check the power, check the ground. Possibly consider adding a series coil and a shunt capacitor on the power line to reduce noise. Check that wiring isn't frayed.

It's really hard to tell what's going on inside the radio without an oscilloscope. And even then, a digital problem requires some kind of digital analyzer like a debugger.

Basically, something like this is hard to troubleshoot because of the lack of visibility in the internal mechanism(s). Looking for things like bad connections and ground loops are always good suggestions, but beyond that, it's probably best to swap the radio.

Previous Topic: Amos and Andy
Next Topic: How has radio changed over the years?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:49:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio