Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Reflected sound
Reflected sound [message #83825] Sun, 30 October 2016 00:08 Go to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Have you ever tried to play your speakers outdoors? I tried this once but the sound was thin and dull. That's when I realized that apart from the sound that travels straight from the speaker to your ears, the indirect reflected sound is also important.

Either way, too much reflected sound can distort sound quality. In order to tame these reflections, I moved all chairs and sofas away from the wall to somewhere around the middle of the room. The sound is now way better than before.
Re: Reflected sound [message #83831 is a reply to message #83825] Sun, 30 October 2016 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I have never looked at it from this point of view; it makes a lot of sense now since there are times when the sound quality is not so good. I have quite a large living room so I will try moving everything else to somewhere around the center.
Re: Reflected sound [message #83833 is a reply to message #83831] Sun, 30 October 2016 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Anomalies from reflected sound is the main problem that acousticians try to solve in indoor installations.

Re: Reflected sound [message #83837 is a reply to message #83825] Sun, 30 October 2016 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decibel 12 is currently offline  decibel 12
Baron
I'm sure there is a science to this. Volume, bass, treble, the amount of reflections vs. all of the above. I go with what sounds good to me, and that involves a sparse room.
Re: Reflected sound [message #83838 is a reply to message #83825] Sun, 30 October 2016 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
lilbill wrote on Sun, 30 October 2016 00:08
Have you ever tried to play your speakers outdoors? I tried this once but the sound was thin and dull.

This is when you turn up the bass and down with the treble. For starters. The more options in this regard that your system has, you can compensate well for the environment.
Re: Reflected sound [message #83851 is a reply to message #83825] Wed, 02 November 2016 14:26 Go to previous message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Issues around sound quality can get confusing at times but like decibel, I tend to go with what sounds good to the ear. Still, a sparse room ensures that the sound quality is above par.
Previous Topic: Best surround for my home
Next Topic: Best system for outside
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:50:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout