Home » Audio » Source » Sansui Turntable - Cartridge?
Sansui Turntable - Cartridge? [message #11907] Tue, 08 February 2005 08:05 Go to next message
igloomaster is currently offline  igloomaster
Esquire
Hi Folks. I own a mid-70s Sansui SR-222 Turntable. A very simple & basic spinner - - it's in top working condition as it's been fully serviced, and it sounds pretty good. I bought it for "a song" at a local repair shop. The technician installed a Stanton 500EMKII cartridge/stylus, which sounded decent, but I improved upon this when I switched to a Grado Black. More detail to my ears.
My question is this: I realize that the "Black" is the entry-level Grado. Will I be wasting my $ if I try to upgrade yet again? Have I hit the wall (because of this model of Sansui) or will I hear even more detail with higher end Grados, Ortofons, Shure...etc ? I'm willing to spend a few bucks on a great cartridge; as I said, I picked up the table for a song and it is in top working condition.

Also, another chap recommended perhaps adding some weight to the platter by putting some heavy modeling clay on it's underside. Anybody have any thoughts on the matter? Will this be too much for the motor/belt?

Thanks!!

Re: Sansui Turntable - Cartridge? [message #11908 is a reply to message #11907] Tue, 08 February 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Take some crazy glue and with a toothpick carefully glue the plastic stylus body to the cartridge body. This will improve 100%; just be carefull and of course you will not have a replaceable stylus anymore. That's all I would do; you will not hear a difference with clay on the platter. Just do a real carefull cartridge set-up and alignment.

Re: Sansui Turntable - Cartridge? [message #11909 is a reply to message #11908] Tue, 08 February 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
igloomaster is currently offline  igloomaster
Esquire
Hi thanks for writing! Sorry, but I'm confused (easy to do!)

I should "glue" the black grado plastic needle holder thing to the body of the cartridge? and that improves it? how?

Re: Sansui Turntable - Cartridge? [message #11911 is a reply to message #11909] Tue, 08 February 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
On the microscopic level where the record grooves lie, the sloppiness(and you can feel this) in the pins that hold the stylus in the cartridge body translate out to big and loose tolerances. When you glue it tight those tolerances become more accurate tracing of the groove. It is not a small difference, some of these guys who claim to mod cartridges, thats what they do and it sounds much better.
Here's one, a cross-bar mounted on the outer body of the cartridge front. Made of tiny brass I-beam that is used for model railroad track. It helps stabilise the cartridge on difficult to track passages, acts as a torsional counterwieght.

Re: Sansui Turntable - Cartridge? [message #11921 is a reply to message #11911] Wed, 09 February 2005 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The stabilizer bar on van Alstines "Longhorn grado" cart. Always wondered if that worked.

Russellc

Re: Sansui Turntable - Cartridge? [message #11925 is a reply to message #11921] Thu, 10 February 2005 19:00 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Seemed too. But I don't have the cojone's to use it on my vintage Empire MC.

Previous Topic: BSR help
Next Topic: Pink Triangle LPT repair?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 01:56:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout