Home » Audio » General » Prolonged earphone use
Prolonged earphone use [message #83785] Tue, 25 October 2016 14:10 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I am fond of listening to loud music and when this is not the case, I always have my earphones on. I have previously come across suggestions that prolonged earphone use can damage the ears.

How severe can this be?
Re: Prolonged earphone use [message #83808 is a reply to message #83785] Thu, 27 October 2016 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decibel 12 is currently offline  decibel 12
Baron
It all depends on how loud you have it. If the music is quiet and soft I don't see how prolonged use can damage your ears.
Re: Prolonged earphone use [message #83824 is a reply to message #83785] Sun, 30 October 2016 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Earphones are quite safe, especially when you are using them with the recommended volume. The headphones (that go over the ear) are the ones that can cause damage, not only if the music is being played loudly, but also if they are used for too long.
Re: Prolonged earphone use [message #83869 is a reply to message #83824] Thu, 03 November 2016 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
I've always had earphones in my ears ever since I can remember and up to this day I've never had any issues. Of course I keep my volume within the recommended levels. Other than that, I have them in for hours and hours each day no problem.
Re: Prolonged earphone use [message #84027 is a reply to message #83785] Mon, 05 December 2016 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PianoGrrl is currently offline  PianoGrrl
Baron
I've heard that even if you keep the volume down, headphones can cause hearing loss in a certain range of sounds. However I have been using them every day for years and never suffered any hearing loss, so as long as you aren't blasting your ears, I don't see why you wouldn't be fine.
Re: Prolonged earphone use [message #84028 is a reply to message #83785] Mon, 05 December 2016 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Re-phrasing the question might help us see the answer.

Does music itself have the same effect when being able to flow freely through the air as opposed to only traveling through a "closed circuit"?
Re: Prolonged earphone use [message #84029 is a reply to message #83785] Tue, 06 December 2016 02:18 Go to previous message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
Condensed sound waves? Now you're getting into the physics of it all Concorde. Way to go. Very Happy

Music is sound which is vibration, so if you're going to condense that vibration into a set of headphones that go directly into your ears, you might want to keep the volume lower than if you're listening through regular speakers.

That's my uneducated guess at least.
Previous Topic: TV Wi-Fi
Next Topic: Noise in the ears
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:59:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers