Home » Audio » General » The recommended watching distance
The recommended watching distance [message #83720] Mon, 10 October 2016 16:03 Go to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
How far away from the display screen should a person sit? I have heard people mention that taking the diagonal screen size and multiplying this by 1.5 or thereabouts, gives you a rough idea of how far your chairs or couch should be placed, in relation to the front of the screen.
Re: The recommended watching distance [message #83724 is a reply to message #83720] Sun, 16 October 2016 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decibel 12 is currently offline  decibel 12
Baron
I go with the rule of thumb of twice as far as the screen is wide. Our couch is roughly 7 feet away from a screen that is half than size and it's comfortable for us.
Re: The recommended watching distance [message #83725 is a reply to message #83724] Tue, 18 October 2016 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Decibel, I had never heard of that. I was wondering if there is a recommended distance or someone should just go with what they are comfortable with?
Re: The recommended watching distance [message #83731 is a reply to message #83720] Wed, 19 October 2016 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
I don't think there is any need for mathematical accuracy or precision here. Just go with what's comfortable. You can always tell when you're too near or too far and therefore straining your eyes.
Re: The recommended watching distance [message #83733 is a reply to message #83720] Wed, 19 October 2016 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
I think it would also depend on how good or bad your eyesight is. 20/20 vision is one thing, but if you have 20/40 vision or anything else that is out of the norm, you just have to experiment until you get the right distance for you personally.
Re: The recommended watching distance [message #83734 is a reply to message #83720] Wed, 19 October 2016 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
There should be a mathematical estimation to be used as a yardstick, though I agree that it also depends on the vision. I wouldn't want to experiment, then settle on a watching distance that would have a negative effect in the long run.
Re: The recommended watching distance [message #83797 is a reply to message #83731] Thu, 27 October 2016 08:33 Go to previous message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
You could be right there Gemmel. The way I would do it is to find my 'perfect spot' or as Sheldon would call it 'the sweet spot' and that's probably different for everyone.
Previous Topic: Right wire and connections for home theater
Next Topic: How to make laptop louder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:24:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout