Home » Audio » Source » Tracking Force
Tracking Force [message #11890] Wed, 02 February 2005 15:37 Go to next message
Cooper338 is currently offline  Cooper338
Esquire
I just purchased an Audio Technica AT-PL120 direct drive turntable, which was supplied with an Audio Technica ATP-2 cartridge. The recommended stylus tracking force is a rather heavy 3-5 grams. The cartridge sounds fine at 3 grams, but I'm worried about excessive record wear. So, I'm considering purchasing a replacement cartridge with a recommended tracking force in the 2 gram range. I'm interested in feedback about whether I should be obsessing about tracking at 3 to 3.5 grams versus 2.

Re: Tracking Force [message #11892 is a reply to message #11890] Thu, 03 February 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Check this out:

Re: Tracking Force [message #11893 is a reply to message #11890] Thu, 03 February 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wayne's thread is informative, the short answer is don't worry. The difference between a cartridge that tracks at 2 and 3 grams is negligable. And that arm you are probably better off tracking at the high end. If the cartridge calls for a range between 2 and 3; track at 3. When the needle is firmly seated in the groove There will be less wear over all. How many times do you plan on playing each individual record? Also; how difficult are they to replace, that is the real question. I track my rare Blue Note jazz albums at 2.4 grams and they are holding up fine.
If you have rare recordings then you need to examine the whole objective of the table/arm/cart system. Otherwize I wouldn't obcess.

Re: Tracking Force [message #11894 is a reply to message #11893] Fri, 04 February 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne and Manualblock:

Thanks for your replies. The reading I have done also confirms that proper stylus seating in the groove is just as important (if not more important) than tracking force with respect to record wear. I was just curious whether there is a particular tracking force above which record wear is likely to lead to immediately audible results. My intention is to play each record only as many times as necessary to get a digital transfer. So, I suppose record wear shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'd still like to do as little damage as possible.

Another problem I have with setting this cartridge at the high end of the recommended range is that most tracking force gauges I have seen only go up to 3 grams, rather than 5 or 6. Do you know of an economic gauge that will register that high?

Re: Tracking Force [message #11895 is a reply to message #11894] Fri, 04 February 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Cooper; Hi I have to ask; the cartridge you are speaking of; that must be made for DJ work, is that correct. While 2-3 grams will not harm the recording, 6 grams will most definately take some vinyll! Seriously at that point I would set it at the highest point on the scale than tweak it slightly for more force, however some arms counterweights will not accept that much adjustment so now you have to place mass on the counterwieght. Maybe a nice 39$ Stanton that tracks at 2.5 grams could be an option?
In answer to your question I have not encountered a gauge that goes that high.

Re: Tracking Force [message #11896 is a reply to message #11895] Fri, 04 February 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Yes, I believe this cartridge is designed for DJ use. I've done exactly what you suggested: use the stylus force guage to set the cartridge at 3 grams, and then tweak it just a bit higher. It sounds very good at that setting, so maybe I'll just leave well enough alone. But, the Stanton might well be worth looking into. Thanks for the recommendation.

Re: Tracking Force [message #12061 is a reply to message #11890] Fri, 08 April 2005 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
I don't see how 3 grams is anything to worry about. Some of the old systems were tracking at 10 or more grams.

I like to track at 1 gram myself but will boost it up to 3 on a bad record just to keep it from skating.

I have a web page about this topic. see:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm

also

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/audio/audio.htm

Re: Tracking Force [message #12075 is a reply to message #12061] Tue, 12 April 2005 04:22 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thank you for the feedback, Dominic, and for the links to the web sites. Very well done, and I like your common sense approach.

Since my last post, I went ahead and purchased a Shure M97xE, and I'm tracking at a cool 1.25g. It is clearly superior in sound to the stock Audio Technica cartridge that came with the turntable, but having said that, the AT cartridge is no slouch either. It will be good to have a backup to use on some records that might require a heavier tracking force.

Coop

Previous Topic: My latest AR Mod/platter mat
Next Topic: HELP! my counterweight broke off
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 04:32:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers