Home » Audio » Radio » Problematic radio USB drive
Problematic radio USB drive [message #83578] Sat, 24 September 2016 09:43 Go to next message
Herz is currently offline  Herz
Baron
Has anyone ever had a problem playing songs through their car radio's USB drive? I've been having the same problem for a few days now. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the hardware or software.
Re: Problematic radio USB drive [message #83581 is a reply to message #83578] Sun, 25 September 2016 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Herz wrote on Sat, 24 September 2016 09:43
Has anyone ever had a problem playing songs through their car radio's USB drive? I've been having the same problem for a few days now. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the hardware or software.

I get a lot of this at times but it has always had to do with the format of the songs in the device.

Yours looks like a general problem with the drive. You could have this checked since it looks like something that can be quickly fixed.
Re: Problematic radio USB drive [message #83590 is a reply to message #83581] Sun, 25 September 2016 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I tend to agree. If it worked before...then something has changed. It may be a device failure or as mentioned did you change the format of the music. I would figure that most likely a problem with the connectors. The USB connector is fine for what it was designed for, but not so great and being stuffed in and out of gear frequently and not very good at withstanding side pulls, or bending. Another possibility is if you are using a SS jump drive they are known to fail. I figure the real life of one depends on the manufacturer and quality of the device. A $5 jump drive seems to last about a year, and even high quality ones seem to die around the 5 year mark. Running periodic checking software is IMO a must for any that have something you don't care to lose. If you check the specs on SS drives (really big nonvolatile memory chips)you will see they provide a number that relates to the times they are expected to be fine in write-read cycles. The same applies to jump drives though few actually give the specs on them. The most common failure I have encountered in either is the loss or scrambling of the file allocation tables. This makes the device unusable. The information is all there, just no way short of a recovery effort to get it sorted out.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Problematic radio USB drive [message #83591 is a reply to message #83578] Tue, 27 September 2016 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Herz is currently offline  Herz
Baron
Thanks for the informative replies. I'll be having this checked soon and will see if it's worth the repair of the problem is bigger than expected or expensive to fix.
Re: Problematic radio USB drive [message #83602 is a reply to message #83578] Wed, 28 September 2016 10:34 Go to previous message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
I hate it when my USB drive starts acting up. As gofar has mentioned, it is better to invest in a jump drive that is of good quality so that it gives us service.
Previous Topic: Listening to the radio in the 60s and 70s
Next Topic: Radio DJ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:12:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout