Home » Audio » Source » YAHOO!! Got the Ariston RD-11 Superieur set up and playing TUNES
YAHOO!! Got the Ariston RD-11 Superieur set up and playing TUNES [message #11866] Thu, 27 January 2005 16:17 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
And it's everything I hoped it'd be!
The best table Ariston made, some say better than the concurrent Linn but prolly lost out cause it's kinda UGLY. And Ivor was a better P.T. Barnum.
I'll have to get someone to re-finish the wood... and the cueing lift doesn't work on the SME 3009R. SME has already sent me the fix directions and I have to get some goop from Flatearth to fill it.
But the cart that was thrown in with the admonition that "it prolly won't work after all these years" looked good under 10X so I installed it and it sounds great!
I ordered and installed new Linn "black" (They're called "black" 'cause they're black, as opposed to silver, FYI)springs which really improved the "bounce" and cut all lateral movement. Best of all, the dreaded adjustment of the springs was a snap because unlike those poor Linnies that have to work from underneath, like plumbers and GYN's, the springs are adjusted from screws that come up through the deck while the platter is in place!
And it sounds terrific! Heavy weight bass, wide-open soundstage, lot's of inner detail and the highs, while kinda bright are still lovely. That's prolly the cart, an Signet 5.0E. All the "AM radio" colorations are gone replaced by a really balanced presentation. I haven't listened to a CD since I got it set up.
I grew up with surface noise, ticks and pops so maybe it's easier for me to re-embrace vinyl. It just sounds more life-like, more real. Perhaps there aren't enough ones and zeros to re-create the woody tones of the Cello or the Contralto I just listened to sing the Kindertotenlieder. As soon as I am able, I'm gonna git me one a them fancy cartridges with some a' them there movin coil things.
And, oh yeah, software costs 50 cents and a few minutes at the kitchen sink.

Re: YAHOO!! Got the Ariston RD-11 Superieur set up and playing TUNES [message #11868 is a reply to message #11866] Thu, 27 January 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Bill,

Man, that's great! It looks awesome.

Wayne

Re: YAHOO!! Got the Ariston RD-11 Superieur set up and playing TUNES [message #11887 is a reply to message #11866] Wed, 02 February 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Hey Bill,
Welcome to the Forces of Light. The darkness will never finish their soul-sucking now!

The cartridge really should go. I know Wayne will protest that AT made some good carts, and they did a generation ago but . . . . .

What are you using for RIAA? For that matter, your system has jumped around enough, I dunno what ANY of it is now.

Anyway, congrats!

Re: YAHOO!! Got the Ariston RD-11 Superieur set up and playing TUNES [message #11888 is a reply to message #11887] Wed, 02 February 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I do like the Audio Technica AT20SL cartridge, you're right. That was their gold-plated, serial numbered statement cartridge of 25 years ago, even came in a nice little wooden display box. But I've been smitten with Grado cartridges lately.

Re: Hiya Cope [message #11891 is a reply to message #11887] Wed, 02 February 2005 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Signet was....there....and actually sounds good and tracks my thrift shop records really well.
I have a Grado Green that's just broken in I'll install soon to see...
Both of these have the incomparable virtue, for a wage slave, of being paid for!
The fono is a Hagerman Bugle. You know how sometimes you're certain a component is good, not because of a comparison, but rather that you hear more from other components you've up-graded and the former has kept up? That's the Bugle. Op-amps and all. I have the optional 15V PSU in a separate case. Graveyard quiet!
Then there's Ella which currently, due to new kitten hi-jinks has a VA EL-34 and an EH 6CA7 on each side. That's been taken care of:

A lot of people would be quite dismayed to note how little difference, if any, there is between a matched quad and this rag-tag assortment. But then, who would admit it?
Finally, my home brew half Pi half Model 19's with the 806A drivers in Bill's Woodhorns on top and the ubiquitous (I love that word: ubiquitous - ubiquitous - ubiquitous - ubiquitous) 2226J's on the bottom.
Waiting in the wings is a pair of 2123's for the mid-horns on top of a 4Pi Pro cabinet with, I think, a ribbon tweeter on top. I'm thinking about a design that will look kinda like a Peterbuilt head on to counter that Casey Jone's Choo-Choo look of the Edgar Horns. Every time I go to hear them I expect a head with a red Stanford Cardinals cap to appear from the side of the treble horn!
So besides AN/Bosendorfers what are you listening to?

Re: YAHOO!! Got the Ariston RD-11 Superieur set up and playing TUNES [message #11956 is a reply to message #11866] Mon, 21 February 2005 23:44 Go to previous message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Way cool.. I have one of these. I bought a Linn dust cover and hinges for mine. The article I read and keep in mind mantacore is now out of business so there are no parts for these. The belt is made out of unobtanium, but the belts were deesigned to last about forever I was told. Liquid Gold polish will get rid of the scuffs and scratches on your plinth and make it shine. I was fascinated by the demise of the company brought on by the lawsuit between Linn and Ariston. Seems Ariston did design the bearing but somehow Linn won the day in court. Who knows. I still believe from emails from a UK Ariston owner that many prefer the Ariston over the Linn as he put it, "Linn colours the sound." While subjective these tables do make very decent music from vinyl. Enjoy your new treasure. John C.

Previous Topic: Turntale won't turn?
Next Topic: Sansui SRB-200
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 31 08:36:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout