Home » Audio » General » Audio and MIDI difference
Audio and MIDI difference [message #83422] Tue, 30 August 2016 01:44 Go to next message
Leon is currently offline  Leon
Chancellor
I would appreciate an explanation of the difference between an audio file and a MIDI file. Also, what are some good software to convert between the two types? Thanks.
Re: Audio and MIDI difference [message #83428 is a reply to message #83422] Tue, 30 August 2016 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

MIDI files are like instructions; They are settings and notes for a synthesizer to play. They are much like the program for a player piano.

This is different from a digital recording, which digitizes and stores a copy of sounds taken from a microphone. They are samples of sound recorded much like an analog recording on tape.

Re: Audio and MIDI difference [message #83455 is a reply to message #83422] Fri, 02 September 2016 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firerain is currently offline  firerain
Chancellor
I used to get really confused about this. But since knowing the difference, it has helped a lot thanks to the flexibility of a MIDI file.
Re: Audio and MIDI difference [message #83460 is a reply to message #83422] Fri, 02 September 2016 09:11 Go to previous message
Leon is currently offline  Leon
Chancellor
Thanks, Wayne. I was still a little confused but with some online reading together with your post, I understand better. firerain, you're right, it's not an easy thing to grasp.
Previous Topic: Wireless headphones
Next Topic: Laptop charger problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:56:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout