Home » Audio » Source » turntable troubles...
turntable troubles... [message #11860] Mon, 24 January 2005 11:34 Go to next message
ChristineS is currently offline  ChristineS
Esquire
You guys sound pretty knowledgeable, so I thought I as a novice turntable owner could ask your help with my turntable problem. I have a Technics SL-BD22 with a audiotechnica AT91E cartridge. My turntable is hooked up to my technics amp, which has phono inputs. It's played well for 2 years, but recently the sound started sounding hollow, then all of a sudden it changed and now it sounds like the music is coming from the end of a long tunnel, and very faint. The pops and crackles from the turntable are, however, regular volume! I bought a new needle cartridge but no change. Any ideas?

Re: turntable troubles... [message #11861 is a reply to message #11860] Mon, 24 January 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Excuse if this is too simple but do you clean the needle regularly? Is this sound coming from both speakers? Do you have another Reciever you could try the turntable with? Have you changed the position or location of the Turntable recently? These questions should help to solve the mystery. Let us know and we can proceed from there. J.R.
(What record were you playing?)

Re: turntable troubles... [message #11862 is a reply to message #11860] Mon, 24 January 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Try to isolate your problem with a process of elimination. First, swap the entire turntable with another, if that's possible. This will let you know if the problem is in the turntable or the (pre)amp. If the problem is the turntable, then swap the cartridge. If the problem persists, then your wires may have moved back and forth somewhere and opened up. Or maybe a connection has oxidized.

Re: turntable troubles... [message #11863 is a reply to message #11862] Mon, 24 January 2005 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I Have heard that sound resulting from a dirty stylus. I would try cleaning first. Then make sure the table has not been moved or shifted unknowingly and caused severe unbalance. Then the stylus pressure or tracking force, set it correctly and make sure it is right. Then follow up with standard troubleshooting practice. Wayne is correct except I would try the simple things first.

Re: turntable troubles... [message #11864 is a reply to message #11863] Mon, 24 January 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree. It's a very good idea to check for a dirty needle first. Maybe it has a ball of grease or dirt surrounding it.

Re: turntable troubles... [message #11865 is a reply to message #11864] Tue, 25 January 2005 09:18 Go to previous message
ChristineS is currently offline  ChristineS
Esquire
Thanks guys! I'll try what you've suggested and get back to you!

Previous Topic: Turntable problems
Next Topic: digital to digital converter ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 04:39:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio