Home » Audio » Source » Turntable continually skips...help!
Turntable continually skips...help! [message #11837] Mon, 17 January 2005 10:29 Go to next message
Dan is currently offline  Dan
Chancellor
I just bought a used turntable for myself. Got a new cartridge, put on a new belt, everything works fine...except I cannot figure out how to configure the anti-skating and the counterweight. It seems to always find a place on the record where it starts skipping and often will sound distorted when it does play.

The anti-skating device isn't the kind I'm used to. Instead of a knob for the adjustment it's a piece of string tied to a weight that attaches to a bar coming out of the tonearm (if that makes any sense).

The turntable is a Sansui FR-1080.

If anyone has any advice on what to do I'd be very appreciative! Thank you!

Re: Turntable continually skips...help! [message #11838 is a reply to message #11837] Mon, 17 January 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Do you have the tracking force measured accurately? With a scale, not just the gradations on the weight? If you don't have a Shure gauge, $25 at AudioAdvisor, J&R, AMusicdirect, Garage-a-records, etc get one. Track at the upper end of the range. Most inexpensive moving magnet carts track well at 2 grams. The 1.25 and even 1.5 grams advertising is nonsense.
The anti-skating arm the string goes on has gradations that are prolly keyed to those on the tracking force weight. Usually 6 stops on both with 2 grams at the center. W/O knowing the exact gradations try putting the anti-skate at the middle posiiton and see what happens.
The other major factor is Balancing the turntable. Use a small beam bubble level, not the bullseye type that are sold for the purpose. They're sold at Home Centers for leveling posts and fit on a string. About 3" long. Level the shelf. Now level the table. Now put the tonearm with cart on a record with power off and level the headshell. You can just twist it while the collar is a bit loose, then tighten.
Place the needle on a mirror and see if the needle and it's reflection are a single line. If not, twist the headshell until they are.
Move the tracking force weight to where the arm is perpendicular to the platter and just hanging there. I.E., zero tracking force. Remove the anti-skate weight. Move the arm to where the middle of a record would be and see if it stays put. It stays, the table is level. It moves, you need to check level until there is no movement. Now set the tracking force and anti-skate.
You are ready to set SRA. stylus rake angle. If the headshell is parallel to the record while playing and the top of the cart is flat against the headshell, you're done. Some carts are a funny shape and you must look carefully at the stylus tip from the side with a good light to find when it is tilted about 1 or 2 NEGATIVE degrees to the record/cart. If the arm has adjustable VTA, great. If not you put spacers between the top of the cart and the headshell or add or subtract layers of mat from the table.
Pop quiz on Wednesday.

Re: Turntable continually skips...help! [message #11839 is a reply to message #11837] Tue, 18 January 2005 09:53 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Gently tug on the anti-skate line to make sure it is not hanging up as the arm crosses the record. If that is good; then set your tracking force to allow the arm to float slightly above the record, then very gently give it a nudge towards the center spindle and see if the arm bearing is hanging in the middle of the album. Reset the tracking force and Make sure your tracking force is set correctly then let us know how these tests work out.

Previous Topic: Benchmark Dac-1 Reviewed in Sensible Sound
Next Topic: Is my first time, im nervous
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 31 22:35:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout