Home » Audio » Speaker » The Science Of Hearing
The Science Of Hearing [message #83264] Fri, 05 August 2016 06:49 Go to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Has this question ever been discussed? I am sitting outside right now listening to a rooster crow. It's the only sound out here right now. Am I hearing this in mono or stereo? And whichever the case may be, can science prove this?

We talk about the stereo vs. mono sound in recordings all the time. But what about real-life and unfiltered sounds? Sounds that don't have wires and speakers to go through.(Like that rooster that's making his own contribution to noise pollution? Laughing) Has science delved into this yet?
Re: The Science Of Hearing [message #83308 is a reply to message #83264] Fri, 05 August 2016 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
You raise a really good point of view. I came across this article that basically explains a bit to do with hearing. I would be interested to know the difference between a mono and stereo in reference to the scenario you have described above.
Re: The Science Of Hearing [message #83312 is a reply to message #83308] Fri, 05 August 2016 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When one studies physics, they study the properties of waves. Especially when looking at acoustics, you'll see there are standing waves, Helmholtz resonators and all sorts of mechanical and acoustic filters. There are electrical resonators and filters too, of course, but my point is that you can see these kinds of properties in all forms of energy transfer.

Re: The Science Of Hearing [message #83352 is a reply to message #83264] Sun, 14 August 2016 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
I did a bit of physics in college and sound is one thing I would like to read more about. This is one topic that is really thrilling and diverse at the same time.
Re: The Science Of Hearing [message #83417 is a reply to message #83264] Mon, 29 August 2016 12:05 Go to previous message
voyager1 is currently offline  voyager1
Chancellor
Stereo and mono are descriptions of sound production, not sound, so they would not actually apply to your rooster's sweet song. Real life is a greater-than-stereo experience, since soundwaves come at your ears from all directions. If you could only hear with one ear, that would approximate mono.
Previous Topic: Is stereo a misunderstood logic?
Next Topic: Splicing Wires
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 03:34:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout