Home » Audio » Source » Marantz TT440 Linear Tracking Turntable
Marantz TT440 Linear Tracking Turntable [message #11803] Fri, 31 December 2004 13:02 Go to next message
HereKittyKitty is currently offline  HereKittyKitty
Esquire
I have a untechnical technical problem to ask here.

I have a Marantz TT440 Linear Tracking turntable which needs a belt replacement. As on many linear tracking turntables the turntable platform is locked onto it's foundation not from the frontside but from behind the platform itself. This means that you must open the complete box to remove the lock ring which holds the turntable in place.

Once one has removed the screws from the back of the case one discovers that Marantz has added 3 more screws (or something!) which must be removed by aligning the platform to expose three resesses under the platform. They are deep resesses, and the type of screw utilized to further secure the cas to itself underneath the platform is impossible to detect. It should come as no surprise that I have found myself stumped in my attempt to try to open the turntable casing up to this point in order to... remove the lock ring, so I can remove the turntable platform, so that I can replace the darn turntable belt. Is it possible that there is something deadly and nuclear that Marantz wanted to protect me from touching here?

Anyway, I'm hoping that some kind soul out there may have more knowledge regarding this than I and can tell me how to get this turntable cas open, so I can replace the turntable belt, once and for all.

Or will plastique be necessary?

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Marantz TT440 Linear Tracking Turntable [message #11810 is a reply to message #11803] Sun, 02 January 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but I'll tell you what I've seen, and maybe it will be some help. Or maybe not. ../emoticons/laughie.gif

Most turntables have a suspension that is locked for shipment by tightening screws in the base. This pulls the top of the turntable down. The screws aren't usually removed, but are either tightened for shipment or loosened for use.

When the turntable is in use, you want the platter to be suspended on its springs or whatever is used to isolate the platter from the base. In this case, the shipping screws are loose. If you plan to ship the turntable, lock the suspension by tightening the screws.

If the platter cannot be removed, the belt is usually serviced through access holes in the platter. Remove the record pad and see if the platter doesn't have a large slot or two. Rotate the platter and see if the belt doesn't become visible in some positions. You'll be able to remove and re-install the belt though the slots in the platter.

Re: Marantz TT440 Linear Tracking Turntable [message #11813 is a reply to message #11810] Mon, 03 January 2005 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks four your reply, but this appears to be a uniquely different problem. I am a very technical person and in fact have actually worked as a radio station engineer, so in general I don't go looking often for details such as this.

Many linear tracking turntables have the retaining ring located underneath the platter, instead of above the platter. this is the ring that normally would keep the platter from falling off the actual spindle of the turntable base. This Marante is not an exception to that rule. The problem is that after the screws from the turntable cabinet (the part cabinet that the entire turntable sits on) the cabinet still is helf together from crews which have been hidden in three deeply resessed wells underneath the turntable platter on top of the unit... or SO IT SEEMS! These wells can only be seen and accessed by aligning 3 openings in the turntable platter face to the hidden screw resesses underneath the turntable platter. The wells where these screws are located are very narrow, deep, and whatever type of retaining piece, be it phillips screw, star, or... hey !!! It could be a thumbtac for all I can see... Anyway I just can get to these or remove them.

In desperation one starts to wonder if an ax is the method of choice to open this turntable in order to access the platter retaining ring, so that one can take off the platter and replace the darned belt.

I think I can say with pretty good certaining that until that ring is removed... no belt.. unless you might intend to (horrors!) cut one in two and glue it back together... is ever going to be replaced on this turntable.

Thanks know the less for a nicely written reply. Zonds! Will I have to stoop to buying a manual from Marantz in order to make what should be such a simple fix?

Dan

Woops! Scripting Problem... Marantz TT440 Linear Tracking Turntable [message #11814 is a reply to message #11813] Mon, 03 January 2005 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Excuse Me!
Something certainly went wrong with my last post so I will try to fix it here.

Thanks for your reply, but this appears to be a uniquely different problem. I am a very technical person and in fact have actually worked as a radio station engineer, so in general I don't go looking often for details such as this.

Many linear tracking turntables have the retaining ring located underneath the platter, instead of above the platter. this is the ring that normally would keep the platter from falling off the actual spindle of the turntable base. This Marantz is not an exception to that rule. The problem is that after the screws from the turntable cabinet (the base that the entire turntable sits on) the cabinet continues to be held together from screws which have been hidden in three deeply resessed wells underneath the turntable platter on top of the unit (or so it would seem.) These wells can only be seen and accessed by aligning 3 openings in the turntable platter face to the hidden screw resesses underneath the turntable platter. The wells where these screws are located are very narrow, deep, and whatever type of retaining piece there is, be it phillips screws, stars, or... hey !!! They could be a thumbtacks for all I can see... Anyway I just cannot get to these 'screws' or remove them.

In desperation one starts to wonder if an ax is the method of choice to open this turntable in order to access the platter retaining ring, so that one can take off the platter and replace the darned belt.

I think I can say with pretty good certainty that until the retaining ring is removed... no belt.. unless you might intend to (horrors!) cut one in two and glue it back together... is ever going to be replaced on this turntable.

Thanks, in any case, for a nicely written reply. Zounds! Will I have to stoop to buying a manual from Marantz in order to make what should be such a simple fix?

Dan

Re: Marantz TT440 Linear Tracking Turntable: WHEW!!! [message #11830 is a reply to message #11810] Sat, 08 January 2005 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Yea !!!!

The stupidity ends (whether it is mine or of some sort of cosmic relation I will leave in the hands of the viewers and doers....)

This turntable does not even have a retaining ring holding onto the turntable. The phantom ring, if anything, appears to have been some time-accumulated sludge. Gosh... what work a little technical manual might have saved this guy!

Of course, everything (once the turntable was removed) was easy from there on out.

I did want to say, that regardless as to whether your feedback (Wayne) was right on line or not (in this case not) it was indeed useful in ways you might not have imagined. One day I started to play back some of your thoughts regarding this in my head, just to make certain that something you had mentioned might not apply to this situation. Looking and handling the turntable in that manner made me decide to consider if in fact I might not be being close-minded in my approach to solving the problem in the first place. I looked at the situation from a few other angles and decided that perhaps I was limiting my perspective to my original approach. (Perhaps deep down I was actually prefering the thought of axing this turntable to finding a legitimate solution that would be bloodless! ../emoticons/smiley.gif )

Instead I picked the turntable up and progressed carefully probing to see if I could learn anything which I had missed in my first pass at the job, and after a bit of sweat and steam I pulled the turntable platter off. Zounds!

Fixing something coming from this sort of perspective (a, duh, total ignorance) often is some kind of miracle, and your response helped in that, so I thank you.

For all future fiddlers.... This turntable, simply pulls straight off. It may adhere to the spindle quite tightly, but at least this time around, there appears to have been no retaining ring involved in holding this turntable in place at all.... Ahhhh. One less realm of ignorance for this tinkerer. So many more to fall into tomorrow?

Best!

Dan

Re: Marantz TT440 Linear Tracking Turntable: WHEW!!! [message #11831 is a reply to message #11830] Sun, 09 January 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Dan,

That's great news, thanks for posting.

I thought probably the platter could be removed. It can on most turntables. If the table has belt drive and the belt is hidden, it's usually accessed by removing the platter and/or through access slots in the platter.

Wayne

Re: Marantz TT440 Linear Tracking Turntable: WHEW!!! [message #79044 is a reply to message #11830] Thu, 23 January 2014 16:58 Go to previous message
blacknoise is currently offline  blacknoise
Esquire
Dan,

Five years later I happened to stumble upon your message concerning the Marantz TT440 belt change. Ty, ty,...ty. Like yourself, was having a difficult time removing the turn table. Tried everything but to no avail. I was abt. to buy a manual for the turntable until I stumbled on your post. Although it is nine years in the making you have helped out a very happy camper and to add, I understand completely every post you made with the exception mine only had two hidden screws Laughing Much thanks again for taking the time to post this very helpful solution.
Previous Topic: Stereo Turntables Making A Comeback
Next Topic: LP Cleaning Machine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:54:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout