Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Building Your Own Guitar
Building Your Own Guitar [message #83156] Sun, 31 July 2016 21:32 Go to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
If you had the plans, tools, etc.....what type of wood would you use to make your own guitar? What type of wood has the best acoustical qualities?
Re: Building Your Own Guitar [message #83158 is a reply to message #83156] Mon, 01 August 2016 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I would love to play the guitar well, even though I have been learning it for the longest time possible. I have never thought of making my own guitar but in such a case, the quarter-sawn wood would be my choice because of its strength and stability.
Re: Building Your Own Guitar [message #83165 is a reply to message #83156] Mon, 01 August 2016 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
Well, there is a science to it:

https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys193/student_reports/fall07/andrew_brill_drew_beeson/andrew_brill_drew_beeson_p199pom_fa07_final_report.pdf

You might want to keep in mind that the neck and the body have different "jobs" in terms of resonance, so they may need different types of wood.
Re: Building Your Own Guitar [message #83397 is a reply to message #83156] Sat, 27 August 2016 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
voyager1 is currently offline  voyager1
Chancellor
That sounds like a fantastic project. I'm no expert, but most of the old Spanish classical guitars I have seen were rosewood (back) and spruce (top). It could have been for sound quality, or it could have been for looks, or even because that wood was readily available.
Re: Building Your Own Guitar [message #83463 is a reply to message #83156] Fri, 02 September 2016 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
No particular kind of wood is coming to mind but I would be interested in designing something that is good to look at on the outside and durable or strong on the inside. It would be no mean fete though.
Re: Building Your Own Guitar [message #83465 is a reply to message #83156] Sat, 03 September 2016 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
This sounds like a fun project, but very time consuming. The four main woods that I've always known guitars to be made out of are ash, alder, mahogany, and basswood. I'm not even sure where you would be able to purchase this wood unless you have a sawmill near you.
Re: Building Your Own Guitar [message #83519 is a reply to message #83465] Tue, 06 September 2016 11:19 Go to previous message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Lizah wrote on Sat, 03 September 2016 07:30
This sounds like a fun project, but very time consuming. The four main woods that I've always known guitars to be made out of are ash, alder, mahogany, and basswood. I'm not even sure where you would be able to purchase this wood unless you have a sawmill near you.

It is a fun project but can be time consuming too plus there is also the question of how many can be made at a go? I think I will stick to purchasing my guitars in the meantime.
Previous Topic: Trying to tune
Next Topic: Using tutor speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:43:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout