Home » Audio » General » What do you look at when buying a TV?
What do you look at when buying a TV? [message #83120] Thu, 28 July 2016 14:58 Go to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Unfortunately, the first thing that comes to mind for most people is the size of a particular TV and how much it will cost. Personally, the first thing I consider is whether the display type is OLED, LCD, LED or plasma. There are many other factors that I will then look at. This is the best way of getting value for money.
Re: What do you look at when buying a TV? [message #83121 is a reply to message #83120] Thu, 28 July 2016 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
I look to see if there is a warranty. Nothing irks me more than having a T.V. go on the fritz in the middle of a crime show.

The quality of the picture is a selling point, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm happy with the regular picture we're all used to, but the writing of that crime show better be top-self. Cool
Re: What do you look at when buying a TV? [message #83132 is a reply to message #83121] Fri, 29 July 2016 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Azuri wrote on Thu, 28 July 2016 15:26
I look to see if there is a warranty. Nothing irks me more than having a T.V. go on the fritz in the middle of a crime show.

The quality of the picture is a selling point, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm happy with the regular picture we're all used to, but the writing of that crime show better be top-self. Cool

I am also fond of checking what the warranty states. If you do not get this clear, things may not work out as initially planned. I love LED TVs and the picture quality has to be perfect. Does brand really matter?
Re: What do you look at when buying a TV? [message #83140 is a reply to message #83120] Sun, 31 July 2016 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
I like looking at the picture and sound quality of a TV. When we were in the market for a new television we stood there and watched every single one that they had on display. After we narrowed it down, that is when we looked at price and brand. There are just some brands that we won't buy at all.
Re: What do you look at when buying a TV? [message #83141 is a reply to message #83120] Sun, 31 July 2016 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I discovered through experience, to do all of my research on-line.
Even after learning you should not judge picture quality in the big, bright box stores, I made that exact mistake on my last purchase.

It was one of the latest and greatest 60"- 4K models from Best Buy.
It Looked great in the super bright showroom, and it was a display panel that I felt I was getting a good deal on.

When I got it home and set up, the picture quality was far below any previous (plasma) flat screen i'd owned.

It had all the obvious features that seem to fall short (to me) on typical "LED's".
Poor motion quality/refresh rates, soap opera effect on all the images and so forth.

Even my 11 year old son, after commenting on the incredible brightness asked me- "but what about the quality".

I was lucky to be able to return it.

The bottom line from my experience is- if your buying a new TV based on picture quality, do not judge by how it looks in the showroom.
Sounds like the same advice when buying new speakers right?
Re: What do you look at when buying a TV? [message #83143 is a reply to message #83141] Sun, 31 July 2016 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
johnnycamp5 wrote on Sun, 31 July 2016 08:10
I discovered through experience, to do all of my research on-line.
Even after learning you should not judge picture quality in the big, bright box stores, I made that exact mistake on my last purchase.

It was one of the latest and greatest 60"- 4K models from Best Buy.
It Looked great in the super bright showroom, and it was a display panel that I felt I was getting a good deal on.

When I got it home and set up, the picture quality was far below any previous (plasma) flat screen i'd owned.

It had all the obvious features that seem to fall short (to me) on typical "LED's".
Poor motion quality/refresh rates, soap opera effect on all the images and so forth.

Even my 11 year old son, after commenting on the incredible brightness asked me- "but what about the quality".

I was lucky to be able to return it.

The bottom line from my experience is- if your buying a new TV based on picture quality, do not judge by how it looks in the showroom.
Sounds like the same advice when buying new speakers right?

You raise a really good point about doing the research online. It is interesting that you were able to return it. Did you have to buy another TV there or it was just a straight cash refund?
Re: What do you look at when buying a TV? [message #83146 is a reply to message #83143] Sun, 31 July 2016 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
[/quote]
You raise a really good point about doing the research online. It is interesting that you were able to return it. Did you have to buy another TV there or it was just a straight cash refund?
[/quote]

I had bought it in December,
using a CC. There was some kind of 30 satisfaction period in the electronics section at the time.
As I was bringing it home against my better judgement (already knowing I should not purchase what looks best in the showroom),
I made plenty sure the 30 day policy was in play on the display model.

When returning it, I did not tell them I wanted to exchange it for a different model.

Re: What do you look at when buying a TV? [message #83147 is a reply to message #83146] Sun, 31 July 2016 13:57 Go to previous message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
You were very lucky to have been able to return it. I know a host of people who ended up with TVs they didn't like simply because there was no return policy.
Previous Topic: The TV volume level
Next Topic: Warranty issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:13:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout