Home » Audio » General » Long Term Investment?
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #84195 is a reply to message #83695] Tue, 27 December 2016 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Odie is currently offline  Odie
Chancellor
Quality is the key. However, remember that things change so quickly these days, something new and better may come out next week. We had an older 500Watt amp that we had a hard time unloading because it was so old. Still in great working order but ancient. Just be aware.
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #84323 is a reply to message #83110] Sun, 15 January 2017 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
What they need to do is make upgrades possible for your stereo system the way they make upgrades possible for your computer system. Now that would be something I would term as a long term investment.
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #84343 is a reply to message #84323] Mon, 16 January 2017 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I disagree with that.... if my stereo system was off line for updates as often as my PC I would give up listening. Rolling Eyes I would suggest that certain pieces of equipment might work that way. Plug in modules that would allow new capabilities in say a DAC might be useful. The cost would have to be a factor though. If the upgrades cost nearly as much as a replacement piece of equipment then it would be a no go. Much of the current gear is throw away stuff. Use it for a few years and toss it. (there are as always some exceptions) Vintage gear made by quality companies is now often worth much more than when it was new and often will equal or exceed newer stuff. I use two turntables that are over 40 years old that are not only worth a lot more now than when new, they perform better than new ones that cost considerably more. I have three pieces of vintage Marantz gear that are also over 40 years old and work perfectly and they too are worth more now than when new. They easily match newer stuff for sound quality and obviously durability. On the flip side there was a lot of equipment made in the 80s and 90s that is junk and pretty much worthless. YMMV

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #84622 is a reply to message #83110] Thu, 23 February 2017 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
Well, depending on what 'long term' means, I think the guiding factor should be the cost. The higher the cost, the better the durability and/or quality. So for me, what's important is that I am getting value for money.
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #84623 is a reply to message #84622] Thu, 23 February 2017 14:43 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi In some ways I agree and in others not so. I have seen too many costly pieces of gear that were no better than budget models. I call it "chrome plating" (others say gold plating). Key factors to me remain ....reputation of the company (not the brand as they get swapped around all the time), how long has the company been in business, what is the product made of... plastic cases to me indicate a lower quality product than one with a metal case, return policy of the company, and one important but not always consistent one....what do folks on the forums say about it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Music In Your Budget
Next Topic: No sound on laptop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:56:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers