Home » Audio » Source » Best Vinyl Disc Cleaning Method
Best Vinyl Disc Cleaning Method [message #11777] Mon, 13 December 2004 10:04 Go to next message
DanR is currently offline  DanR
Baron
Having read a lot of articles about the best way to clean vinyl discs, I am as confused as ever ...

Is there a simple, inexpensive method that uses common household -- or easily obtainable chemicals and cleaning devices?

Is the liquid used to clean eyeglasses (plastic lenses) safe and effective? What about a microfiber cloth like that supplied in eyeglass cleaning sets?

Thanks!

Re: Best Vinyl Disc Cleaning Method [message #11779 is a reply to message #11777] Tue, 14 December 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If you have $150 collectable albums you play on an $80,000 TT maybe this isn't so good, but for my Goodwill album collection and $100 TT it's great:

put a little dishwashing detergent in a cup and add 1/4 warm water;BLAST the record on both sides under the kitchen faucet with warm water rotating and hitting all the grooves; scoop some soapy water with your fingers onto the record and smear around 'til it's all soapy on both sides; run your fingers around and around like playing the record a few times; Blast it again to remove all the soap and crud. I really believe that the pressure of the water is nearly as effective as vacuuming.

Now set the record down on the soft, blue paper towel you buy in the paint department at Home Depot and blot and gently wipe dry. These towels are really absorbent, soft and entirely lint free.

This method always results in quieter play back and costs pennies.

Re: Best Vinyl Disc Cleaning Method [message #11784 is a reply to message #11779] Wed, 15 December 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanR is currently offline  DanR
Baron
Bill;

Thank you for your record cleaning recommendation. Is there a technique that you you use to protect the record's label?

Your comment about the 80K$ TT is interesting -- I've been looking at some sites promoting 14K$ turntables and tube pre-amps and 20-40K$ tube amps that make me want to start constructing some for sale. It makes me appreciate my H.H. Scott amp and F.M. tuner along with the Garrard Lab 80 and its Shure M-55E cartridge even more --- all 40 years old and still performing wonderfully.

As for your GW collection: last spring I bought -- for a few cents each disk -- two shopping-carts of 78's -- in albums -- in pristine condition -- that a local GW got from a (former) girl's college library. Composers playing their own compositions, etc. It's amazing how splended the sound quality is on those old records -- a sonic purity unheard of today.

Re: I had a Lab 80 in college [message #11785 is a reply to message #11784] Wed, 15 December 2004 15:25 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wooden tonearm, those lovely flat toggle's and it weighed a ton. I'm sure glad we didn't know it wasn't high end! And you could put 3 discs of an opera on in order. New vinyl converts today must wonder why multi-disc sets have sides 2 and 5 on the same disc!
I just hold the record at about 60 degrees to the stream of water making sure the label stays above it as I rotate the disc. The few drops that get on the label blot off and don't harm anything.

Previous Topic: Denon 3910 availability?
Next Topic: Delrin arm board for AR turntable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 03:11:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout