Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Help me choose the apropriate speaker to built
Re: Help me choose the apropriate speaker to built [message #83066 is a reply to message #83065] Thu, 21 July 2016 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nik72 is currently offline  nik72
Chancellor
Thank you Wayne once more!
Re: Help me choose the apropriate speaker to built [message #83348 is a reply to message #82996] Sat, 13 August 2016 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi again ,having a little spare time I continued to read almost all the previus pages on the forum . I bumbed on an interesting unofficial built ,the One Pi Tower .
My wife is a little considered about building Pi two towers so I decided to build first the plain 2 pi's without finishing as test cabinets placed close to rear wall with a pair of 50 centimeter steel bases which I have from old project .
If later on I'll miss the bass (I bet they will sound fuller than my current speakers (5inch woofers))maybe I'll try convince my wife to get permision or divorce for 2pi tower built.
As I mentioned above I bump to One pi tower speaker and as Wayne states on a question they are standing between 2pi and 2Pi tower.
So considering that both 2pi and 1pi tower have the same WAF in my case I can built both (the cost and labour doesnt make too much differnce).
To be honest I am leaning 99% on Pi2 because is well documented and there is huge suport from Wayne but I have to investigate it for that 1% .
I have the belief without having enough techical knowledge that pi 2 will not stretch to much the Alpha 10 as the 2 pi tower to get extra bass and the same happens with One pi and one pi tower. If stretching is not the issue, what are the sonic differences between 8" and 10" alphas to cosnsider for using one or the other ?
From what I have read regarding light paper cones, the 8" because of the lower cone weight must be sound more controled precise and fast than it's bigger brother? Or that depends on the application and the design.

These are my thoughts so far sorry if my English are not good .
Re: Help me choose the apropriate speaker to built [message #83349 is a reply to message #83348] Sat, 13 August 2016 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I can answer about the one pi tower. The Alpha 8 has an advantage over the Alpha 10 in the midrange to upper midrange. It's a bit noticeably smoother. The 10 of course has a bit more bass impact and reaches a bit lower. I used a planar magnetic tweeter, and crossover was the same point as Wayne's 1 and 2 Pi's except that because of the planar' very resistive load, the resistors weren't needed. You could just go with the dome tweeters too. All you have to do is redesign the box volume and vent. Be careful of vent placement in any tower design. (I moved the vent to the back, echoing Wayne's design on the 2Pi tower.) The basic design, by Walton? on the internet works well.

The 2Pi tower is really nice but it's a big box. Your wife may not approve.

Re: Help me choose the apropriate speaker to built [message #83350 is a reply to message #83349] Sat, 13 August 2016 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Steve for the reply .I am referring on this post by Fred T
http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=50492&#msg_50492 probably they are the same plans as Walton audios www.iol.ie/~waltonaudio/pione.html Fred T and Pi speakers mentioned as well so I believe there is a connection.
If I decide I will follow the dimensions mentioned because I don't have enough knowledge to create a speaker by my self .Also I am determined except minor experimentation with crossover parts just for fun to built something solid ,tested etc to replace my current speakers.That's why I am skeptical to deviate from Wayne's speaker designs.Your description about sound properties of 8" Alphas put me in consideration though ,because my current speakers have that character which I would like to have in next speaker .As I mention at my first post I am happy with my current system but when the setup was bought I was lived in a small room and It sounded awesome .After some years I was married ,now I am a father of two and at the new home setup although the system sounds good it can't physically push more air.My daughter threw a party in winter and I borrowed a ss amp although the speakers played louder than my small amp the feeling of not sound filling the place it was evident.So what I need is the "feel" and I dont care much about lower bass I guess I am used to feel happy so many years with my small speaker (I bet they are tuned somewhere 60-70Hz ) so with an octave or two lower if something play same or better as my current speakers and fill the room I will be the happiest man on the world.
Re: Help me choose the apropriate speaker to built [message #83351 is a reply to message #83350] Sat, 13 August 2016 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I forgot to add that a pair of 1 PI speakers per channel will play very loud. All you do is build four of the 1Pi speakers, and stack them inverted with the tweeters close to each other. They will play LOUD. Not to say the 1Pi won't. My son inherited my 1Pi speakers, and with a sub shakes his townhouse. I believe he uses Quicksilver Minis, that's only twenty five tube watts a channel.
Enjoy your project.
Re: Help me choose the apropriate speaker to built [message #83368 is a reply to message #83351] Thu, 18 August 2016 07:49 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Thanks Steve .

I must admit that there is a wealth of information on the forum but it is difficult to found the exact part somebody is looking for .So I suggest for anyone to be patient and look for information even at the last pages .
For instance I found the exact answers looking for here...

http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=12404&start=0&

http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=10391&start=0&

http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=12281&start=0&

http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=10091&start=0&

Previous Topic: 4 Pi and 3 pi subwoofer
Next Topic: 4 pi speaker plans please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:15:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio