Home » Audio » General » Audio Marketing
Audio Marketing [message #82926] Sun, 26 June 2016 11:07 Go to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Why do you suppose marketing for anything and everything audio focuses so heavily on the current generation? The millennials? My theory is that the older generations are willing to spend more because they appreciate the intricacies of music more than the younger consumers. Therefore, they should be the focus of ad campaigns.

What do you think?
Re: Audio Marketing [message #83111 is a reply to message #82926] Thu, 28 July 2016 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The ads focus on the current generation because the equipment is made for the current generation and their lifestyle. If they were selling updated versions of the old style equipment that would be tailored for the older generations, their ads would reflect that.
Re: Audio Marketing [message #83487 is a reply to message #82926] Mon, 05 September 2016 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
A lot of the newer equipment is usually purchased by the current generation. I know a lot of older people who still swear by the old stuff and would never get rid of it unless they couldn't have it fixed anymore. I'm partial to both so I would like to see a mix of ads for all generations.
Re: Audio Marketing [message #83497 is a reply to message #83487] Mon, 05 September 2016 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I actually see two sets of marketing... The obvious one on the web and internet of easily found sources. It is aimed at the Millennial population (no offense) as that is what they want and are willing to pay for. There is a more laid back bunch of adverts and sites that cater to older buyers. Often not advertised as the the latest and greatest, or cheapest. Rather to quality and exclusivity. As you might expect they are targeted to a different group who will value such things and be willing to pay for them. Sort of the difference between a six pack and fine wine (yes I am stretching it a bit). I do see (through my business and diy contacts) a small but growing revival in high quality audio gear and a desire to understand how it works and is built by the Millennial population. Not anything like in the diy heydays, but growing none the less.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Audio Marketing [message #83736 is a reply to message #82926] Thu, 20 October 2016 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
It is true that there are different kinds of adverts for different segments of the population and as indicated by gofar, it still works both ways. I still think that it is the older generation that does the most purchases.
Re: Audio Marketing [message #83746 is a reply to message #82926] Thu, 20 October 2016 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ssal is currently offline  Ssal
Viscount
I agree that there are two very distinct types of ads that we see. The usual and more common caters to the young 'uns, and there are more sophisticated ads for the more mature generation.
Re: Audio Marketing [message #84137 is a reply to message #83736] Sat, 17 December 2016 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
lilbill wrote on Thu, 20 October 2016 01:58
I still think that it is the older generation that does the most purchases.

I was just reading that thread about the Mozart purchases, and your comment reminded me of that. Define "most purchases". The Mozart set technically outsold everyone else in terms of the most purchases, but that was because there were 200 CD's in one bulk package.

The relevance here is that the older generation might actually be making less purchases, but they add up to total more in value than all those cheap purchases the millennial's make.
Re: Audio Marketing [message #84146 is a reply to message #84137] Tue, 20 December 2016 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tadtone is currently offline  Tadtone
Baron
When it comes to hardware, I think it is probably disposable income. Young people tend to have fewer bills and obligations so more spending money. It is much easier to persuade a younger person to buy their first stereo, or a cheap portable disposable one to use at university, than to persuade an older person to replace a wired-in surround-sound system they've been happy with for years.
Re: Audio Marketing [message #85534 is a reply to message #83746] Sat, 01 July 2017 13:55 Go to previous message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
I agree that the younger and older generations must be marketed to in very different ways. For example, for younger individuals - snow boarding ads and for older individuals, a really good fridge. Most older people don't even want to get out in the cold!
Previous Topic: Music Listening as a profession
Next Topic: Why is elevator music always easy listening instead of top 40?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:43:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio