Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Looks Bad, Sounds Good
Looks Bad, Sounds Good [message #82875] Wed, 22 June 2016 04:15 Go to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Have you ever had a system like this? It looks like it wouldn't put out good sound quality at all, but when you turn it on you get blown away.
Re: Looks Bad, Sounds Good [message #82881 is a reply to message #82875] Wed, 22 June 2016 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
??

What would be a "bad" looking piece of gear?

Visuals (taste) can't be argued.
Re: Looks Bad, Sounds Good [message #83521 is a reply to message #82875] Tue, 06 September 2016 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
I tend to judge sound quality based on the outward appearance so I think this is the reason I have never settled on anything that looked 'bad'. What type of system had you bought? Did you search for any online reviews of the same product?
Re: Looks Bad, Sounds Good [message #84398 is a reply to message #82875] Tue, 24 January 2017 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hylo
Baron
Concorde wrote on Wed, 22 June 2016 04:15
Have you ever had a system like this? It looks like it wouldn't put out good sound quality at all, but when you turn it on you get blown away.
What, like my duct-tape special?

If you mean the kind of thing that looks like a bunch of roadies threw it together in five minutes, with mismatched brands, different finishes, taped connections, weird angles, and bass that makes your teeth hurt? I've seen a few. They don't last long, but hey, they aren't built to, just to sound good while they are running.
Re: Looks Bad, Sounds Good [message #84401 is a reply to message #84398] Tue, 24 January 2017 22:44 Go to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
[quote title=Hylo wrote on Tue, 24 January 2017 09:38]
Concorde wrote on Wed, 22 June 2016 04:15
If you mean the kind of thing that looks like a bunch of roadies threw it together in five minutes....

You might be surprised at what they can do in five minutes. Laughing

My first stereo was like that though. I don't know if it sounded good because the insides were better than the outside, or if it sounded good because it was my first stereo.
Previous Topic: Replacing car speakers
Next Topic: Removing background hiss
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:44:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout