Home » Audio » General » Audio equipment insurance
Audio equipment insurance [message #82859] Sun, 19 June 2016 04:40 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Some time back, burglars broke into my neighbor's house and got away with his TV, home theater and lots of other stuff. This got me thinking, isn't there insurance for audio equipment? Apparently he hadn't insured any of his belongings so everything went down the drain.

How cheap/expensive is this kind of insurance?
Re: Audio equipment insurance [message #83432 is a reply to message #82859] Wed, 31 August 2016 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
I know that there is insurance available for your instruments and equipment. The rates usually start at around $150 a year, which is pretty cheap. I don't know if it would include a TV though. That might just be covered under regular homeowner's insurance.
Re: Audio equipment insurance [message #83436 is a reply to message #83432] Wed, 31 August 2016 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
From what I know, this kind of insurance is normally not so expensive so you may want to shop around. At times, there is no harm is paying up this small amount since a lot of risk will be taken care of.
Re: Audio equipment insurance [message #83439 is a reply to message #82859] Wed, 31 August 2016 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
voyager1 is currently offline  voyager1
Chancellor
I recently changed insurance companies which gave me the opportunity to review my policy very closely. It covers audio and television equipment under the personal property section, but excludes any devices that can be operated from a vehicle. Also, my musical instruments and audio equipment related to music production have to be covered separately and I pay an additional premium for them. Every insurer and every policy is different, so read carefully!
Re: Audio equipment insurance [message #83442 is a reply to message #83439] Wed, 31 August 2016 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
voyager1 wrote on Wed, 31 August 2016 15:36
It covers audio and television equipment under the personal property section, but excludes any devices that can be operated from a vehicle. Also, my musical instruments and audio equipment related to music production have to be covered separately and I pay an additional premium for them. Every insurer and every policy is different, so read carefully!

Thank you clarifying this especially because most people do not take time to understand what their insurance policy covers and what it doesn't. Can you imagine the disappointment of finding this out when it is already too late?
Re: Audio equipment insurance [message #83470 is a reply to message #83442] Sat, 03 September 2016 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
voyager1 is currently offline  voyager1
Chancellor
Yes, I can imagine it, and unfortunately that's when most people find out what's in their policy - when it's too late.

I just find it very frustrating that they make the policies so long, complicated, and hard to read, and on top of that, they are all different. It might lead one to think the insurance companies were trying to take advantage of consumers.
Re: Audio equipment insurance [message #83505 is a reply to message #82859] Tue, 06 September 2016 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Issues to do with insurance can be very complicated and you have to be really careful when choosing one. I normally insist on reading everything and asking all the necessary questions, lest I am caught unawares.
Re: Audio equipment insurance [message #83510 is a reply to message #82859] Tue, 06 September 2016 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
I have a few friends of mine who've never taken any sort of insurance for their equipment. It amazes me that some people never take time to think of the risk therein.
Re: Audio equipment insurance [message #83600 is a reply to message #82859] Wed, 28 September 2016 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
Setting up insurance for my audio-related tools is also something I haven't thought about. I seem to think that it doesn't make sense to steal these items when you can take cash, gold, or jewelry which worth more in the end. It's a good reminder when I want to get a new insurance later, thanks for the sharing!
Re: Audio equipment insurance [message #83606 is a reply to message #83600] Wed, 28 September 2016 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Yurimi wrote on Wed, 28 September 2016 10:15
Setting up insurance for my audio-related tools is also something I haven't thought about. I seem to think that it doesn't make sense to steal these items when you can take cash, gold, or jewelry which worth more in the end. It's a good reminder when I want to get a new insurance later, thanks for the sharing!

I used to think that it didn't matter whether or not you insured your audio equipment but it makes sense to do so especially if you have invested in expensive equipment.

It is worth mitigating the risk by insuring everything that falls under that category.
Previous Topic: Purchasing a Multi Player
Next Topic: Road Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:47:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout