Home » Audio » General » Tempered Glass
Tempered Glass [message #82666] Sun, 22 May 2016 23:41 Go to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
I hear about this from time to time, have seen it twice and I just don't get it. Why would anyone put audio equipment of any kind on tempered glass? Better still, why would company's sell stands made of tempered glass to be used to put audio equipment on?
Re: Tempered Glass [message #82672 is a reply to message #82666] Mon, 23 May 2016 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
I guess because since they both think that it's harder and thicker than normal glass that it won't vibrate and screw with the overall sound. I think they're wrong. A novice might not be able to tell the difference, but experienced ears will.
Re: Tempered Glass [message #82693 is a reply to message #82672] Tue, 24 May 2016 14:09 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, A curious question. IMO just to make it harder to break. IMO any glass shelf or table that is used for audio is for looks. It would be nearly impossible to make it non-resonant. General considerations for equipment shelves and racks are: strong, non-resonant, possibly able to isolate the gear from room and floor vibrations and possibly able to dissipate vibrations from the gear (mostly for turntable supports). A thick piece of glass could do some of the above things, but only with well designed supports for it. As for the tempered vs standard... likely no difference sonicly. Just my 2 cents.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: High Frequency Question
Next Topic: Universal Forms Verve
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:18:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers