Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Violins' strange shapes
Violins' strange shapes [message #82545] Mon, 02 May 2016 06:32 Go to next message
minora is currently offline  minora
Baron
My friend showed me a picture of a violin with strange design. Looks like it's an electric violin. I've always thought that the body of violin is what creates its sound, much like guitars. With that kind of design, doesn't it affect the sound production in a bad way?
Re: Violins' strange shapes [message #82598 is a reply to message #82545] Sat, 07 May 2016 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
The bow pulling across the strings is what creates the sound. The body determines how the sound resonates. Think Willie Nelsons old, patched up acoustic guitar versus one of Tom Petty's custom made jobs.

The strings make the sound, the body makes the difference.
Re: Violins' strange shapes [message #82622 is a reply to message #82598] Sat, 14 May 2016 01:23 Go to previous message
minora is currently offline  minora
Baron
Exactly. That is why I'm curious if the sound will be as good as normal violin due to the body shape. It looks as if there is no room for resonance. String instruments rely on resonance to produce sound, so I wonder how the sound will be produced for this kind of violin.
Previous Topic: They Are Not All Created Equally
Next Topic: App for removing background noise
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:04:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout