Home » Audio » General » Are expensive headphones better?
Are expensive headphones better? [message #82491] Mon, 25 April 2016 09:20 Go to next message
minora is currently offline  minora
Baron
I'm sorry if this question sounds silly, but I'm really curious. A friend bragged about his new headphones earlier today. (I think I saw Samsung's name on it). It does look cool, but I'm wondering if the quality of the sound is that much different from standard, cheaper headphones.
Re: Are expensive headphones better? [message #82499 is a reply to message #82491] Mon, 25 April 2016 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Price is not really a good indicator of quality in headphones IMO. There are some guidelines though. If it is under say $50 the chances it will sound ok are small. At about $75-100 there are a number of pretty good phones. The thing to watch out for is hyped up ones with fancy brand names. Ones from established headphone companies will almost always give you better bang for the buck. At the high end (over say $500) most phones are quite good. They have what I would call different flavors and features but generally they fulfill the advertising specs. In between the $100 and $500 range it is a bit of a crap shoot. Many are pretty good, but a number sneak in with hype. Personally I use some rather low cost phones (just under $100). Sennheisers and vintage Koss ones. Are there better ones for sure, but these do it for me.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Are expensive headphones better? [message #82502 is a reply to message #82491] Tue, 26 April 2016 02:21 Go to previous message
minora is currently offline  minora
Baron
gofar99, thank you for the information. It seems tricky because people would check headphones from established brands first, knowing their quality. We automatically expect good quality because of their history. Personally I like trying new brands and find hidden gems, but I guess I'll need to search for reviews and personal experiences carefully.
Previous Topic: Tower Records
Next Topic: Walkman
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:59:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout