Home » Audio » General » A Matter Of Opinion?
A Matter Of Opinion? [message #82471] Sun, 24 April 2016 08:41 Go to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Apparently, there are two schools of thought regarding bass. Some people say it creates a "dark" noise where you you can't hear the mids and highs. Others say the bass helps bring them out.

I'm in the first school, where are you?
Re: A Matter Of Opinion? [message #82481 is a reply to message #82471] Sun, 24 April 2016 21:27 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Neither. To me the amount of bass (volume, plus depth) is what matters. Too much particularly in volume compared to the rest of the sound will mask the mids and highs. Too little will emphasize them. I have heard far too many systems that are boomy. I prefer a balance. The bass needs to be clean and not over emphasized. I differ from a number of listeners in that I do see a need for response down to the 20HZ range if it is clean. If not clean then something on the order of 40-50 HZ will usually sound better. I can certainly shake the house with my subs (twin 7.5 cubic foot ones with 15 inch drivers...-3db at 17HZ) but they are absolutely non-obtrusive. If you shut them off... it is clear that something went away but when they are operating it just makes a fuller sounding system. So... deep, clean and not over emphasized bass is helpful to round out the sound IMO.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Factory Installed Or Your Own Buy?
Next Topic: Tower Records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:05:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout