Home » Audio » General » Analog or digital audio?
Analog or digital audio? [message #82384] Wed, 13 April 2016 12:28 Go to next message
Finn is currently offline  Finn
Viscount
I'm wondering what sounds better to everyone, digital or analog audio? I know that there are some people who don't notice a difference, but I'm not one of those people. I think that digital sounds cleaner to me and this is what I prefer.
Re: Analog or digital audio? [message #82385 is a reply to message #82384] Wed, 13 April 2016 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Both technologies have advantages and disadvantages, and the best systems exploit the strengths of their core mechanism and limit their weaknesses.

The strength of an analog recording is it has the potential of being a perfect copy, but its weakness is its vulnerability to inconsistencies. Examples of analog problems are tape hiss and vinyl record pops and skips. These are generally media problems and are over and above the things that cause harmonic and intermodulation distortion, such as clipping, zero crossing, asymmetry, etc. So analog systems tend to have some amount of noise and distortion that is predictable, but added to that, they have some that are unpredictable, usually related to media quality.

The strength of a digital recording is its consistency. It cannot be a perfect copy, but its imperfection is known and precise. You can know exactly how flawed the recording is by the size and speed of the samples that make it up. So while a digital copy can never be perfect, it can be made with parameters high enough that any imperfections are well below the level of audibility.

Of course, there is still an analog system in front and behind a digital recording. Ultimately, both source material and playback output are analog, so there is a conversion process and amplification and transmission systems that are prone to all the analog distortion and noise sources. But if we're just comparing the storage/transmission mechanism - analog versus digital - then we must consider the rest of the system to be comparable, and therefore assume them to be equal.

So the bottom line to me is both have different strengths and weaknesses. Digital is more consistent, and can be made consistently quite good. But as you get closer and closer to perfection, there comes a vanishing point where only pure analog can go. After all, everything starts and ends analog.

Re: Analog or digital audio? [message #82395 is a reply to message #82385] Sat, 16 April 2016 21:26 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I agree with Wayne. Both can be quite excellent. I prefer all analog, but do have digital sources as well. The biggest hurdle with analog is the price and complexity of the source components. A good turntable, cartridge and preamp can easily go way over the cost of a good CD/DVD player and DAC. Again it may come down to what you like to listen to. There is a lot of material available on vinyl that is not digital and in all probability will never go digital. Cost is a factor as well. Downloads are pretty cheap but then so are used LPs...many of which are in pristine condition. Another thing to ponder is do you actually own the digital copy...can you transfer it to someone else? LPs and CD/DVDs this is possible.

There is a hidden question to the mix as well. I agree that with digital music it should be consistent all the time....but are the players as consistent? I have two high end CD/DVD players (a Marantz and an OPPO). Do they sound the same...no. I have a number of turntables. If I use the same cartridge in each do they sound the same? Nope. And the variation between high end cartridges ( I have several) is also high.

So in the end to me at least...both types of media are just fine, but different. Take your pick and enjoy.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: McIntosh headphones
Next Topic: Moderate levels of listening and distortion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:33:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers