Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Good Musical Instrument to start a child on
Good Musical Instrument to start a child on [message #82268] Mon, 21 March 2016 11:46 Go to next message
JuneBug is currently offline  JuneBug
Chancellor
My daughter is only a year old, so it is early for this question, but I like to research theses sort of things ahead of time. What kind of musical instrument do you think is the best to start a child on.
My SO and I have discussed it, and we think starting her on an instrument when she is 5-6 would be good for her. We are considering a piano keyboard, but I thought I would scope out thoughts online here.

(We are probably insane to be thinking about it before she has even started walking.)
Re: Good Musical Instrument to start a child on [message #82269 is a reply to message #82268] Mon, 21 March 2016 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JillbeQuick is currently offline  JillbeQuick
Chancellor
Oh you are absolutely insane, but so am I!
I have been in love with the idea of being able to play the piano, though I can't play myself. I did try a halfhearted attempt to learn guitar when I was a teenager, but there wasn't enough interest.
If you want to start your kid on a musical hobby, I think classical instruments are the best.

Jack jumped over a candlestick
Re: Good Musical Instrument to start a child on [message #82380 is a reply to message #82268] Wed, 13 April 2016 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
Count me in to the insane group because I also had similar thought when I don't even have a husband yet!

In my opinion piano or keyboard would the best start too. They are easier to play for smaller hands unlike other instruments. When I was little, I started with a very small keyboard which looks more like pianica than a keyboard. I had fun with the rich sounds while learning the basic theories of music. You can move on to more complicated instruments when the kid can handle them better.
Re: Good Musical Instrument to start a child on [message #82398 is a reply to message #82380] Sat, 16 April 2016 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
After having kids try nearly everything...two come to mind a flute. Flutes are relatively easy to play, portable and since they don't require a reed (like a clarinette) are dentist friendly. The other is an acoustic guitar. Similar thoughts and being acoustic are less likely to piss off the neighbors. Regardless of what you get...get quality. Cheap instruments do not have the quality of sound needed to keep the kid interested.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Good Musical Instrument to start a child on [message #82399 is a reply to message #82398] Sun, 17 April 2016 07:33 Go to previous message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Sun, 17 April 2016 10:47
After having kids try nearly everything...two come to mind a flute. Flutes are relatively easy to play, portable and since they don't require a reed (like a clarinette) are dentist friendly. The other is an acoustic guitar. Similar thoughts and being acoustic are less likely to piss off the neighbors. Regardless of what you get...get quality. Cheap instruments do not have the quality of sound needed to keep the kid interested.

Do you mean a recorder? Recorder is not a popular instrument here in my area. I had short classes on how to play it when I was on junior high school, but nothing more. Guitars and violins have different sizes based on age and body size, so they cost more than common instruments.

Ultimately it depends on what the kids like to play. Parents are responsible to show them as many instruments as possible, I guess.
Previous Topic: The Producer
Next Topic: Wireless headphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:54:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout