Home » Audio » General » A listening chair
A listening chair [message #82165] Wed, 09 March 2016 14:42 Go to next message
Thaddeus is currently offline  Thaddeus
Baron
I have a high back chair where the back meets the top of my head that I sit in when I listen to music. Could this chair be ruining my audio experience? A friend recommended that I get a listening chair. Has anyone ever heard of one of these before?
Re: A listening chair [message #82221 is a reply to message #82165] Tue, 15 March 2016 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
My aunt has a music room in her house. She has several chairs with tall back, around similar size with your chair. When I visited her and sat at the music room, I did not notice any problem with the sound. Some recommendations online mention significant difference due to the height obstructing the sound, but it also depends on where you put your speakers. I couldn't remember where she placed her speakers, it has been long since I last visited her. By logic, though, I assume you will get similar sound quality if the speakers are located at high angle or at top ceiling. Chairs with tall back are very comfortable so I can understand your dilemma.
Re: A listening chair [message #82238 is a reply to message #82165] Fri, 18 March 2016 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
I agree with Yurimi. I have a few high back chairs that I use to listen to music, but my speaker placement is in the ceiling. I think that if your speakers are too low then it has the potential to ruin the listening experience. Where are your speakers located?
Re: A listening chair [message #82243 is a reply to message #82238] Fri, 18 March 2016 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Anything that is reflective near your ears is a bad thing. You want chairs to be placed away from walls and if the chair is vinyl or leather, it is best not to be high-back. Alternatively, you could damp the reflection with a pillow.

Also, the illusion of realism is enhanced if the speakers are approximately at ear height. Sorry, but sound from the ceiling is unnatural. We rarely have sounds coming from above. Surrounds are usually slightly higher, but mains should be at ear level.

Re: A listening chair [message #82249 is a reply to message #82243] Fri, 18 March 2016 15:19 Go to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 18 March 2016 14:04

We rarely have sounds coming from above.

Thunder and airplanes come to mind. Both are heavy on the bass tone and both, to me at least, are annoying.

Oh, and birds. But birds are alright.
Previous Topic: R.I.P. George Martin
Next Topic: The Color Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:28:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers