Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Stage 4 upgrade to JBL 2226
Pi Stage 4 upgrade to JBL 2226 [message #82025] Sat, 13 February 2016 12:08 Go to next message
OneBean is currently offline  OneBean
Baron
Hi Wayne. I lucked into some JBL 2226 speakers for my Pi Stage 4 speakers built about 10 years ago. Can I just swap them in to the cabinets, or will it require a crossover change. My long range plan (in the next 3-4 months) is to add the B&C DE250, and upgrade the crossovers to premium components. If there is a cross over change, I will likely just wait on installing the JBL's till I can do the complete upgrade.
Re: Pi Stage 4 upgrade to JBL 2226 [message #82026 is a reply to message #82025] Sat, 13 February 2016 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OneBean is currently offline  OneBean
Baron
Wayne, can you resend the Pi 4 plans too? I can't find my original ones. I made my original cabinets from MDF. Is that your material of choice, or would plywood be better?
Re: Pi Stage 4 upgrade to JBL 2226 [message #82027 is a reply to message #82026] Mon, 15 February 2016 11:34 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check your email inbox for the plans. You can validate your crossover, comparing it with the crossover schematic. Upgrade to the H290C waveguide as well. It's an inexpensive upgrade that gives significant improvements, so do it at the same time you upgrade your woofer.

As for cabinet material, I prefer MDF for cabinets that will always be setup and used indoors in semi-permanent installations. MDF is great acoustically because it's well damped. It's basically sawdust of many kinds of woods bound together with glue. But this makes it vulnerable to water. Standing water makes it turn to mush. It's not particularly strong either, and can dent fairly easily. So if the cabinet will be moved often, baltic birch is a better choice. It's damped well too, being made of several layers of wood bound together with glue.

Previous Topic: 3 Pi build in Italy...
Next Topic: Capacitor upgrade on Pi 4
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:02:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout