Home » Audio » Source » squash balls
squash balls [message #11613] Fri, 21 May 2004 17:20 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I needed to remove the isolation platform from under the TT because I was getting microphonics with the pre-amp so I placed the unit on the platform and it helped. So I cut 2 squash balls in half yesterday and put them under the Linn one half under each foot, leveled it off with a bubble level. It sounds more lively and articulate;.. really, I'm not kidding!

Re: squash balls [message #11614 is a reply to message #11613] Sat, 22 May 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds like it would work well to me.

Now if you told me they were made from unobtanium elastomer in an omnicosmic shape and cost you $5000.00 each, that might raise an eyebrow or a smirk. But isolation with a squishy rubber damper is groovy.

Re: squash balls [message #11615 is a reply to message #11614] Sat, 22 May 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats the part I left out. They were special squash balls.

Re: squash balls [message #11616 is a reply to message #11615] Sat, 22 May 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Special squash balls. That makes all the difference, I understand now.

Seriously, sounds like a pretty good idea. You probably couldn't have thought of a better shape if you'd setup to make them with a mold. A special mold even.

Re: squash balls [message #11617 is a reply to message #11616] Sat, 22 May 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sorry; I don't want to appear flip and insincere, the fact is the squash balls do work well but I can't take credit for this tweak it's been around forever; it expands the bass and soundstage as well as smoothing the mid-range and adding prescence and greater 3 dimensionality. Female voices in particular attain more substance; they breathe better. The difference is audible and enjoyable. In fact the Squash balls cut in half are under my Pi4's as well, one in each corner. I am not sure of the physics; whether they couple or decouple the speaks from the floor but they certainly seem to add fundamental weight to the sound. It may be my imagination but the bass seems quicker and lighter and more responsive also. The slight hollow tinge I get in my room is somewhat alleviated with the tweak. A lttle audio prestidigitation. Next tweak is Mini-traps in the corners, to be continued...

Re: squash balls [message #11618 is a reply to message #11617] Sun, 23 May 2004 07:23 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Cool, and I hope I didn't seem insincere either. I was having a little fun with the subject title and plays on words and stuff, but I do think what you're saying is a good suggestion.

On a related topic, see the post from positron in the Tubes forum.

Previous Topic: Laser turntable
Next Topic: squash'ed balls
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 17 16:35:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout