Home » Audio » Speaker » Best Wood For Speakers
Best Wood For Speakers [message #81728] Fri, 11 December 2015 11:30 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What type of wood, Birch, Oak, etc..., is the best used for speaker construction?

Are there still companies out there who will build with the best wood for the sake of craftsmanship(passing the expense onto the consumer of course), or do most manufacturers just want assembly line type products in order to make a quick buck?
Re: Best Wood For Speakers [message #81734 is a reply to message #81728] Mon, 14 December 2015 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like MDF, but humidity makes it swell and standing water turns it to mush. Baltic birch is much better structurally.

I use MDF where humidity isn't an issue and where the speaker will rarely be moved. I use baltic birch for speakers that will be moved a lot and/or those that might be subjected to the elements.

Those are the only two wood products I'll use to build speakers. For home hi-fi, I generally cover the cabinet with a fine wood veneer but for prosound I use Duratex.

Re: Best Wood For Speakers [message #81737 is a reply to message #81734] Tue, 15 December 2015 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was leaning towards birch actually, thanks for telling me why. I'm looking for something to use in the garage when I start putting in the second walls for the insulation. It's all brick.
Re: Best Wood For Speakers [message #82144 is a reply to message #81728] Sat, 05 March 2016 08:15 Go to previous message
Finn is currently offline  Finn
Viscount
Will using solid wood still account for wood movement? I was always under the impression that speaker boxes need to be air tight and that MDF works best for this. Can you use both MDF and solid wood together?
Previous Topic: Changing over to silver wire
Next Topic: Studio 118 speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:23:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout