Home » Audio » General » Turntable Prices
Turntable Prices [message #81704] Wed, 02 December 2015 01:50 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I just checked the Swap Meet and there is nothing there. Are there good turntables to be found anywhere these days? Online or off, it doesn't matter. I can't spend any more than $200 on this right now.
Re: Turntable Prices [message #81709 is a reply to message #81704] Wed, 02 December 2015 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Your budget puts severe limits on what is available. For new, the only one worth considering is the U-Turn Orbit. It's US made and a fully manual device. The basic model is just within your budget. The other new things (note I didn't say turntables) within that price range are realy pretty faces with crappy guts. The picture is a bit brighter for vintage gear. There is a pretty substantial amount of stuff from companies like Pioneer and Dual in that range. Figure on cleaning and re-lubing it though. A new stylus or cartridge may also be needed. You might check out the forums on vinylengine.com for some ideas and guidance. It is the best of the vinyl sites IMO.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Turntable Prices [message #81710 is a reply to message #81704] Wed, 02 December 2015 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would try eBay. Just be careful not to go for the bargains - Get a good table with a decent plinth and tone arm. And the cartridge and stylus are obviously very important too.

Re: Turntable Prices [message #81714 is a reply to message #81709] Fri, 04 December 2015 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 12:23
You might check out the forums on vinylengine.com for some ideas and guidance. It is the best of the vinyl sites IMO.

I just got back from there and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed by the amount of companies represented. Looks a treasure trove of information, thank for that.
Re: Turntable Prices [message #81715 is a reply to message #81710] Fri, 04 December 2015 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 02 December 2015 15:26

I would try eBay. Just be careful not to go for the bargains - Get a good table with a decent plinth and tone arm. And the cartridge and stylus are obviously very important too.

I don't why, but I forgot all about them. I'm registered but I haven't been there in years. I would like to find one full and ready to play, but I would also get a few spare replacement parts.

Let the bidding begin.
Re: Turntable Prices [message #81722 is a reply to message #81715] Mon, 07 December 2015 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I would not worry too much about spare parts in the beginning....just get one that spare parts are available for. Many of the vintage turntables that still function or have be refurbished will last a long time before anything serious wears out. The most common things are drive belts and drive pulleys. Some will also need things like motor mounting grommets. Most everything else will either last forever with proper maintenance or has already gone into the trash. I have three vintage turntables and two recently made. Two of the vintage ones (an Empire 598 and a Dual 701) easily outperform the newer ones (a Pro-jet Debut III and a Sota Moonbeam). The vintage ones are about 40 years old now and will probably be working for many more.

Good Listening
Bruce
icon14.gif  Re: Turntable Prices [message #81727 is a reply to message #81722] Fri, 11 December 2015 11:20 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You sound like an old pro at this.

The perfect buy would be a vintage player at a yard sale for $50. They just don't make things like they used to, do they? Things have to break periodically in order to keep the economy going it seems like.
Previous Topic: Add jingle to in-store music
Next Topic: vintage coral speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:27:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout