Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Seven Pi Loudspeaker Component Questions
Seven Pi Loudspeaker Component Questions [message #81699] Tue, 01 December 2015 16:47 Go to next message
George Swanson is currently offline  George Swanson
Esquire
Hey everyone (but especially Wayne),

I bought a set of mid horns for the 7pi corner horns a while back and have been searching for a pair of JBL 2012H midranges since then with no luck. I've decided that the best is the enemy of the done so I'm going to buy the Eminence midrange and woofer.

I have a couple of questions about components. Wayne, I see that you sell the Jantzen capacitors. I've heard good things about the Superior Z Caps, would you be able to get those and include them in the kit for an upcharge? Also a question on inductors - is there any sonic improvement for a larger gauge inductor or is it simply a matter of power handling? I'm going to be using a pair of push pull 6B4G power amplifiers so I'm not going to be needing the speakers to be arc welder amp compatible.

Also, I've managed to lose the plans you originally sent. Would you mind sending me another set? Thanks!
Re: Seven Pi Loudspeaker Component Questions [message #81700 is a reply to message #81699] Tue, 01 December 2015 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

I personally find the coil upgrade to be the crossover upgrade that makes the most sense. Resistors next and capacitors after that. The reason the coil upgrade matters is it lowers DCR and increases damping slightly. It is subtle, but I think noticeable when used with flea-power SET amps.

As for getting components we don't stock, sorry, but we really couldn't do justice to that because we would lose our economy of scale. We offer stuff at such low prices because we buy so much of it. That means one-offs or custom orders would have to be significantly more expensive and it's just not worth it for either of us. However, you can buy the crossover board unstuffed and populate it with your own components if you want to.

Re: Seven Pi Loudspeaker Component Questions [message #81701 is a reply to message #81700] Tue, 01 December 2015 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George Swanson is currently offline  George Swanson
Esquire
Weird, I received an email notice of your response to my post from Audio Round Table but no email with plans.

I'm surprised about the resistors, I'm not a huge spend big on components guy but I've found caps to make a big difference. I've had good experience with Auricaps so I'll just get those.

What sonic improvements do you notice with the upgraded resistors? I'm going to go the whole hog anyway, upgraded compression driver but will stick with Eminence woofers and midrange. I assume the kit comes with the waveguide for the tweeter? Do you recommend the spacer for the midrange?

I also assume the price on the kit is for a single speaker so two kits needed for stereo.

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Re: Seven Pi Loudspeaker Component Questions [message #81702 is a reply to message #81701] Tue, 01 December 2015 17:56 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check your email again. If not there, let me know and I'll resend.

As far as the capacitors go, I'm really more particular about the technology used than the brand. Of course, there are probably some cheap off-brands but none I use are that type. So they all measure and sound very good.

All kits have parts to build a single speaker.

Previous Topic: 6pi Mains, 3pi Center
Next Topic: 4 Pi Plans Request ; )
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:23:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout