Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7-pi conversion (Salvaging everything (if possible) to transform a seven pi)
7-pi conversion [message #81642] Sat, 31 October 2015 13:05 Go to next message
tromic is currently offline  tromic
Esquire
Hello!!

I built a pair of seven pi a couple years ago, here is a picture of the right speaker!

index.php?t=getfile&id=1826&private=0

These have been my main speakers for a long time but last year, we moved into a house and our open kitchen-living room is cruelly lacking both corners for proper installation... On the right, there is a window and on the left, a hexagonal turret leading to the kitchen. I then bought a Sonos home theater, which is not bad, but just don't rival the seven pi that were hooked to a home made 8W tube amp.

So, now I'd like to convert these seven pi into something else that still sound good and won't require two corners. I will probably be using oak this time also, not mdf.

Any idea what I can do with these? I'd like to use all 3 drivers for a rich sound but the four pi is using only 2...

I built my seven pi on this :
-Eminence PSD2002 with compressed plastic horn
-Eminence Omega 15
-Mid range driver : Eminence Delta 10
-Standard x-over (Only option when I bought if I remember well)

If I remember well, the woofer is dephased from the rest... Would it be possible to revert the connection and move this to the front? What kind of air volume would I need in the cabinets? Front or rear-ported?

I know, lot of questions, but I built these a long time ago and it's hard getting back to this!

Thank you,
Michael
  • Attachment: pi.jpg
    (Size: 62.89KB, Downloaded 3859 times)
Re: 7-pi conversion [message #81644 is a reply to message #81642] Sat, 31 October 2015 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compaddict is currently offline  compaddict
Viscount
Nice work!
How do they sound out of the corners?
Re: 7-pi conversion [message #81646 is a reply to message #81644] Sat, 31 October 2015 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you don't have suitable corners, then I'd suggest using four π speakers with flanking subs.

Pity to disassemble those cornerhorns though - they look gorgeous!

Re: 7-pi conversion [message #81647 is a reply to message #81642] Sat, 31 October 2015 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tromic is currently offline  tromic
Esquire
@compaddict
Thank you! Even out of the corners, they sound much much better than the Sonos kit I am using right now. Other problem is that it is quite strange : having a speaker like this between the kitchen and living room, when there is no wall to hide the back.

@Wayne
Thank you for the comment! I was a little afraid to get this answer... I won't remove anything from these speakers right now, saving the project for our coming winter. I'll have to submit this to public vote (ahem, family), but I might just be able to convert a part of the basement to find a new home for these speakers, since I already have to build a home office for my wife. Might serve as both.... Nice welcome music at day, wine salon at night!

Hope my luck will go this way. If not, well, I'll surely need a new X-over.
Re: 7-pi conversion [message #81655 is a reply to message #81647] Thu, 05 November 2015 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
Hi Tromic,

I would be interested in buying your cabinets if you don't need them. I am located in the DFW area. Where are you at? The shipping could be a deal breaker.

Tom
Re: 7-pi conversion [message #81669 is a reply to message #81642] Wed, 18 November 2015 12:27 Go to previous message
grindstone is currently offline  grindstone
Baron
Late to all this, I know. Three ideas:

1) build furniture-ey wall extensions on the backs of your 7 pi bins.
2) build false corners (even pwk didn't have corners in his house)
3) build actual wall stubs

They wont do everything real corners do, but it might save decommissioning speakers that you like. It can be as "polished" as you want it to be.

There are reasons we like corner speakers and the price is that you "bring corners with you". The k-horn guys have been living like this for ages. PWK's "false corners" were regular stud-walls rocked on both sides and finished.

It's down to what you want to put into it. Things can be modular/removalbe, etc.

Some ideas (not mine, BTW).

Good luck.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1846&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1847&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1848&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1849&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1850&private=0

Previous Topic: 4pi LCR new Project
Next Topic: 6pi Mains, 3pi Center
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:31:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations