Home » Audio » General » Class D amplification
Class D amplification [message #81614] Fri, 16 October 2015 16:37 Go to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Hello all . Smile

It seems SET amps work well with our high sensitivity speakers.
I will be building a set amp kit myself, as soon as I receive shipment.

Out of curiosity,
have any PI speaker owners here had any experience/impressions using the Hypex NC400 amp in your system?
It seems to be the premier amp in its class (D).

Regards!
Re: Class D amplification [message #81619 is a reply to message #81614] Sun, 18 October 2015 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lots of people use Class D amps these days. I run them for surrounds in some installations, but prefer conventional amps for mains.

I will admit that it maybe psychological. The T-Amps I've used sound good, so I have no reason to prefer conventional amps to them. I suppose that could be said of SET amps too though.

We can definitely measure differences in the three amplifier types. But I'm not sure the differences measured correlate to the differences perceived. So I suppose I should qualify my opinion with that admission.

Re: Class D amplification [message #81621 is a reply to message #81614] Tue, 20 October 2015 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I see what you mean Wayne.

Naturally, there's a lot of noise/opinion out there about both types.

A friend of mine swears by the Hypex nc400, and insists I try them.
They are Hypex's latest and greatest class D.

He feels I should build linear power supplies for them, instead of using their switching power supplies that are typically paired with them.

Of course, this is coming from his engineer/studio sound mix perspective.

Perhaps one day I'll give them a go, but I have not even received/started my set kit yet Shocked

Regards!

Re: Class D amplification [message #81622 is a reply to message #81621] Tue, 20 October 2015 15:08 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know what you mean. I've seen a lot of audio "darlings" come and go. Most times, they're fine and I have nothing to dislike in them. They're not the second coming, but they're not buttered poop either. They're just fine.

The Gaincard/Gainclone LM38xx-based amps were like that. Not bad, not bad at all. Not magic, but not bad.

Same with the Tripath amps, which is essentially what we're talking about here. I really like some of those amps.

I think I still prefer SET amps, but the perceived improvement isn't stark. It's pretty subtle, really.

As long as an amplifier is used within its limits, it's generally a commodity item to me. Not completely, but again, the differences are subtle between really good amps.

I will admit, though, that the Class D (or T) digital amps are a completely different paradigm. I'm not sure one can compare all the analog topolgies in the same breath as comparing the digital designs. Still, even with their differences, I find each of these varied types of amplifiers to be perceptionally similar in performance, provided they are used within their limits.

Now difference in speakers - that's night and day. That's why I spend so much more energy focused on them.

Previous Topic: 4 pi
Next Topic: Add jingle to in-store music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 00:14:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout