Home » Audio » Speaker » Hasty mistake
Hasty mistake [message #81443] Wed, 08 July 2015 17:57 Go to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
A couple of weeks ago-

After a brief investigation of the 4 pi speakers, I decided I'd build myself a pair, while having Wayne build/provide me the crossovers and waveguides.

I quickly started to source the drivers on line.

Before I had fully educated myself on the drivers of choice, (jbl 2226h and b&c de250) I had found some 2226h's on ebay that had been re-coned for $189. each.

In my haste, I bought two.

I hadn't yet learned that the re-cone must be a genuine jbl kit, installed by an authorized jbl repair shop Embarassed.

As I now understand, there is no real way of knowing (from the outward appearance) whether or not the re-cone is of genuine parts by an authorized installer.

I have been advised by Wayne to run a frequency sweep test on the speakers after completion, but I don't clearly recall what I am supposed to look for.

I may recall that I should see (with a non genuine re-cone) a slight drop in db at around 800Hz and on?

Can any jbl2226h owners confirm this?

I have attached pictures of the labels on the boxes that these speakers were in when they came to me. This doesn't mean much.

Also on both, on the back of the basket on one of the frame legs, there is a stamped, white- "JBL" with a tight circle around it.

Finally:

Can I run a sweep test on the bare woofers, or must they be in their enclosure?

index.php?t=getfile&id=1741&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1742&private=0
  • Attachment: IMG_0284.JPG
    (Size: 31.09KB, Downloaded 1723 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_0283.JPG
    (Size: 36.23KB, Downloaded 1670 times)
Re: Hasty mistake [message #81445 is a reply to message #81443] Thu, 09 July 2015 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A genuine JBL recone kit is part number C8R2226 and can only be installed by an authorized service center. JBL does not sell these kits "over the counter" as a repair part. They only make them available to trained service centers.

So I am skeptical that the woofers are genuine. But really, the baskets alone are worth $100 each, even if the cones are completely missing. So you're not out of luck, even if the cones that are installed aren't good. You can get them reconed at a factory service center for about $150-200 each.

There can be any sort of problems with a second-rate cone, but what I see most often is weak HF response. Watch the response above 500-800Hz or so. You can measure that on a baffle, without needing to mount the drivers in a box.

Re: Hasty mistake [message #81446 is a reply to message #81443] Thu, 09 July 2015 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Thanks Wayne.

The good news-
I found a local, authorized service center in Edison, NJ.
Only ten minutes from my house.

The bad news-
They quoted me $270. per woofer Shocked .

If I shipped them elsewhere I,d likely end up spending the same or more Sad .

Haste makes waste!
Re: Hasty mistake [message #81448 is a reply to message #81446] Fri, 10 July 2015 10:21 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's still not too bad. If you paid $100 each for the drivers, and then another $270 reconing them, then your cost is $370.00. Retail is about $500.00.

I'd say you didn't get a great deal, but not a terrible one either.

Call David Miller at Speakerworks in Tulsa.

Previous Topic: Attenuating B & C DE250 on Pi horn
Next Topic: My Speaker Project - Looking for Advice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:36:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout