Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » newbie 2pi build questions
newbie 2pi build questions [message #81303] Fri, 08 May 2015 03:47 Go to next message
hobeygo is currently offline  hobeygo
Esquire
Hi,

Wayne was kind enough to send me the plans for 2pi studios, however since it's the very first time I am building any kind of audio equipment, I have some trivial questions:

1-What sort of (qualitywise) circuit elements (cables, soldering,capacitors, etc.) should I be using in building the crossover, and how they should be mounted on chasis?
(I have seen people mounting the circuit on a wooden plate instead of a circuit board online, is it OK?)

2- Regarding the use of t-nuts: how should the t-nuts be mounted on the chasis optimally to allow easy mount-unmount of speakers? Should I be driving t-nuts from the front of the panel to the back, or vice versa?

3- Regarding the usage of insulating material inside the chasis: Wayne recommends using R11 or R13 insulation. The thickness of R13 insulation is listed as 3-1/2 inches, and the port tube is 2 inches apart from the side and bottom which are to be covered with insulating material. How does the insulation fit in there without covering port tube? Am I missing a detail in plans?

Best Regards,
Onur
Re: newbie 2pi build questions [message #81304 is a reply to message #81303] Fri, 08 May 2015 10:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Use polypropylene capacitors and air-core coils. Don't use anything smaller than 18 guage wire for inductors or interconnects. Mounting is trivial and unimportant for the most part. Just make sure the components cannot rattle inside the cabinet, so hold them in place somehow. You can put them in the interconnect cable assemblies and use wire ties to hold them to internal braces. Or you can mount them to a board and mount the board inside the cabinet. Either way is fine.

The insulation should only be put on the back, one side and bottom of the cabinet, so it won't be anywhere near the port. As for T-Nuts, I'd suggest driving them in from the inside. See the post below (which is in the FAQ) for more information:
Previous Topic: 2pi plans
Next Topic: Help with new design
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:59:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout