Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Four Pi Frequency Response
Four Pi Frequency Response [message #81191] Sat, 07 March 2015 21:38 Go to next message
timhowell01 is currently offline  timhowell01
Chancellor
I finished building a pair of Four Pis last weekend. I've only got a couple of hours time listening to them, but I'm a little underwhelmed with the sound at this point. They sound a little muddy and the bass response isn't as good as I expected. I've attached a graph showing a measurement with FuzzMeasure (admittedly using the built-in microphone in my laptop).

index.php?t=getfile&id=1685&private=0

Does this look right? It looks to me like the lower frequency drop off is steeper than expected. I purchased my JBL 2226Hs used. Maybe they need to be reconed? Anything else that might be causing this?

I'd definitely appreciate any advice. Smile

--TWH
Re: Four Pi Frequency Response [message #81193 is a reply to message #81191] Sat, 07 March 2015 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That looks good until you get down below 150Hz or so. What you're seeing is definitely less bass than normal. These kinds of (high-efficiency) speakers don't have the deepest bass response and are generally better with subs, but they have more output than that.

It could be that your microphone is responsible for the rolloff. It isn't a calibrated microphone, and so that might be what's causing it. Or it could be the environment or a combination of the two. But if that's the true measurement, then bass response is lacking and something is amiss.

To be honest, I usually see problems in the upper midrange when there's a qualitative problem with the cone. Cheap recones usually show up as having reduced output above 800Hz, which makes a hole in response. Since I'm not seeing that, I think the drivers are OK, but it's hard to say for sure. The bass output on your speaker is definitely not measuring right.

Re: Four Pi Frequency Response [message #81194 is a reply to message #81193] Sat, 07 March 2015 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I'll try another measurement tomorrow with a different microphone (still not calibrated, but may give a better result) and see what that shows.

Could there be a problem with the cabinet causing the rolloff? The only thing I can think of is that I didn't use gaskets around the woofer and the waveguide, but I think they're pretty well sealed even so. If they're not, would that be sufficient to explain the drop off?

I built the crossovers myself, but I quadruple checked them, so I don't think that is the problem.

--TWH
Re: Four Pi Frequency [message #81195 is a reply to message #81194] Sun, 08 March 2015 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I made another measurement tonight using a USB microphone. How does this look? Are they measuring correctly now?

index.php?t=getfile&id=1686&private=0

--TWH
Re: Four Pi Frequency Response [message #81196 is a reply to message #81195] Sun, 08 March 2015 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That looks like a measurement made indoors. We're seeing room modes and self-interference. The dips around 100Hz to 150Hz look like self-interference from the nearest boundary, which are precisely what flanking subs correct.

You'll notice your first measurement shows this dip too, which was probably also an indoor measurement. But in your first measurement, the microphone rolls off heavily under 100Hz, so we don't see any output below the notches. It looks like sharp rolloff below 150Hz but that's just because you can't see the output below the 100-150Hz self-interference notches.

I'd say the speakers are fine, and probably what you want to do is to add flanking subs to mitigate the self-interference anomaly. It's pretty normal, and all speakers suffer from that because it's a room issue, not a loudspeaker issue.

Re: Four Pi Frequency Response [message #81198 is a reply to message #81191] Wed, 11 March 2015 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jshupe is currently offline  jshupe
Baron
I wouldn't know anything about muddy, as mine are crystal clear, but when I first built mine I was worried about the bass response being abnormal. They didn't produce the "oomph" I expected, but I added a pair of 3pi subs to the mix and haven't looked back.
Re: Four Pi Frequency Response [message #81200 is a reply to message #81198] Thu, 12 March 2015 00:39 Go to previous message
Chancellor
I'm actually finding that the more I listen to them the more I like them. I also prefer them with a SET amp than with the tube PP amp I had driving them initially.

I'm going to need to look into building some Three Pi subs now...
Previous Topic: Selling to Australia ?
Next Topic: 4 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:05:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout