Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi without subwoofer
4Pi without subwoofer [message #80769] Thu, 30 October 2014 01:46 Go to next message
jmmbarco is currently offline  jmmbarco
Esquire
Hi everybody!

I am planning 4pi build but there is something that worries me. Is it possible to use it without subwwofers or is it a bad idea?? I plan to pair them to a 24w SET and I want to keep system´s simplicity.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
JM
Re: 4Pi without subwoofer [message #80773 is a reply to message #80769] Fri, 31 October 2014 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Certainly, you can listen to four π mains without subs. They sound great by themselves, especially in smaller rooms. But to be quite honest, adding flanking subs takes them to a whole new level. Not only do you get a better foundation but you get modal smoothing. The flanking sub approach mitigates anomalies caused by early reflections from nearest boundaries as well as higher frequency room modes, especially the one from floor/ceiling. So my suggestion is to build your mains now, listen a while, and then as time permits consider adding a couple flanking subs.

Re: 4Pi without subwoofer [message #80780 is a reply to message #80773] Mon, 03 November 2014 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thank you Wayne for your reply. Smile
But my doubt actually is wether subwoofer recommendation should be addressed to any diy Main Speakers or only to Pi speakers due to its design.

Best regards,
JM
Re: 4Pi without subwoofer [message #80781 is a reply to message #80780] Mon, 03 November 2014 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Multiple subs - both flanking subs and distributed subs - improve sound quality for any loudspeaker setup. The multisub approach smoothes room modes. See the "Room Effects and Loudspeaker Interactions" section of the π Speakers FAQ for more information.

Re: 4Pi without subwoofer [message #80782 is a reply to message #80769] Mon, 03 November 2014 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I have 4 Pi's with the 2226 woofer, no subwoofers, and there's absolutely no shortage of bass. I drive them with 2A3 tubes, 3.5wpc, and can still rattle the windows. I would like to try Wayne's subwoofers in a my system sometime- I'm sure if Wayne recommends it, they are great, but I don't see them as a necessity for good 2-channel sound. What kind of amp do you have? At 24wpc, does it use 845 tube? with high B+ voltage?
Re: 4Pi without subwoofer [message #80783 is a reply to message #80782] Mon, 03 November 2014 13:02 Go to previous message
Esquire
Hi Wayne and Matts!

Thank you for your replies.

Wayne, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn´t get a weak or "incomplete" sound without using subs....

Matt, I am using a SET amplifier (Line Magnetic 219IA) and it is rated 24W with 845 output tuve (300B&310A doble stage driver). It is fantastic to find a similar case to mine, even yours is more extreme Very Happy Very Happy

Best regards,
JM

Previous Topic: 4 Pi speakers (Yuichi 480FL horn)
Next Topic: Jantzen 4pi crossover?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:36:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout