Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » The most optimal placement for a single sub
The most optimal placement for a single sub [message #80732] Mon, 20 October 2014 18:33 Go to next message
j0nnyfive is currently offline  j0nnyfive
Baron
Hey Wayne! How are you liking Arkansas?

I'm still planning on getting a stereo pair of 4 Pi speakers, plus a pair of 2 pi speakers.

I'm torn about what to do about bass. I like the multisub idea in theory, but it would be nice to have one mega sub and call it good. (mainly for decor and space reasons)

My question is, if you only had one sub, would your methodology for placement be any different than the oft proposed "sub crawl" method?

I'm thinking of putting a beast-like sub front and center between the two mains (about 4 feet from each main), and blending it high with the mains in addition to the summed channel. Could this work "okay?" I know it isn't optimal, but I'm trying to still follow your basic ideas.

My problem with multisubs is that I'd have to get a minimum of 3 subs if I did the flanking idea because I would like to have a loud and low sealed sub like an LMS 5400. There's no way I would want to buy 2 or 3 of these animals, so that leaves me with 2 flanking subs + an LMS ultra. I'd rather just have an LMS ultra. What do you think?

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention this is for home theater mainly. The loud and low sub is for T-Rex. I'm hoping a front center placement can be used to somewhat fill in the self-interference notches as well. ?
Re: The most optimal placement for a single sub [message #80737 is a reply to message #80732] Tue, 21 October 2014 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Honestly, there's no good place for a single subwoofer except one - Right underneath you. If the sub is close enough, the direct sound will be louder than the reflections.

Re: The most optimal placement for a single sub [message #80746 is a reply to message #80732] Thu, 23 October 2014 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Ah, I see. Smile If I were to use 2 subs, would it defeat the point of using flanking subs to also send it the summed channel? I don't see any other option.

Thanks for your help!
Re: The most optimal placement for a single sub [message #80754 is a reply to message #80746] Fri, 24 October 2014 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I always run flanking subs, except when the mains are constant directivity cornerhorns (that don't need them). For all other setups, I use flanking subs to smooth the upper modal region. It's the best way to mitigate the anomalies caused by reflections from nearest boundaries.

If you have the option of using two subs, run them in a flanking sub configuration. There's no disadvantage to doing this - Only advantages.

Re: The most optimal placement for a single sub [message #80757 is a reply to message #80732] Sat, 25 October 2014 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Okay, I think I was misunderstanding where the LFE channel goes.

If I run the mains as full range, do they get the LFE channel? And thus, the flanking sub gets a copy of the LFE channel as well?

I was under the impression that if I don't have at least one summed channel subwoofer, I would be missing some sound. Am I on the right track here?

What about any below 80hz sound that gets directed to a surround speaker? Or does that happen? So, I guess my main concern is that if I have flanking subs only and send them only a copy of the main they are flanking, I may be missing some sounds unless I have at least one "summed" subwoofer. Just trying to wrap my head around this. Please set me straight! Smile

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks!
Re: The most optimal placement for a single sub [message #80758 is a reply to message #80757] Sun, 26 October 2014 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you set your processor to indicate that no sub is used, and set the mains to "large," all bass content goes to the mains.

Re: The most optimal placement for a single sub [message #80759 is a reply to message #80732] Sun, 26 October 2014 17:50 Go to previous message
Baron
Ah, okay. That answers it right there. I was worried that any bass content directed at the surrounds would simply disappear. Thanks!!
Previous Topic: pi 1 for surround
Next Topic: 4Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:09:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout