Home » xyzzy » Tower » Ebola
Ebola [message #80727] Thu, 16 October 2014 17:54 Go to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
From what I understand, a Liberian came to Texas from Africa, checked into the Dallas hospital with flu-like symptoms, and no one caught that it was actually Ebola. Now he's dead and two of the nurses who had a hand in treating him are also sick. Are we seeing the very beginning of an outbreak here in the U.S.?
Re: Ebola [message #80728 is a reply to message #80727] Fri, 17 October 2014 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It is hard to tell the hype from fact.....but it seems the answer is no. Only really close contact with someone exhibiting symptoms is supposed to permit transfer of the infectious material. What I think we are seeing is that the hospital was not really ready to find and treat the illness. To much self confidence not enough preparation. Considering that it has been rampant in Africa for months now and they have virtually no in place way to stop the spread and only about 10K persons have gotten the illness means to me that it really is hard to transfer it. If it were easy, all of Africa would be dead by now.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ebola [message #80967 is a reply to message #80727] Sat, 03 January 2015 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiophile88 is currently offline  audiophile88
Baron
Gofar99 makes a good point. As many people as there are in Africa and as relatively few people as have died, I'd say it's probably not as big of a deal (in large scale terms) as people fear it to be. Personally, I haven't heard anything about it in weeks now.
Re: Ebola [message #80976 is a reply to message #80967] Sun, 04 January 2015 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
It still pops up in the news occasionally. I believe there is a possible exposure patient on the way to a Nebraska hospital today. Still more people died recently from the flu. My sense is if you are not in a country where it is rampant, or have visited one there is more to worry about being hit by a car than the illness.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ebola [message #81005 is a reply to message #80727] Thu, 08 January 2015 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
Well I hate to hear that it's an issue in Africa but I'm glad it hasn't become an issue here, too. At first I was a bit worried about a potential outbreak here but I think you guys are right; I think we have more to worry about from the flu here than Ebola.
Re: Ebola [message #81134 is a reply to message #80727] Mon, 16 February 2015 05:39 Go to previous message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
The only people who catch this disease are people who are in contact with an infected person's bodily fluids. It is not an airborne illness so chances of it becoming rampant here are slim as long as hospitals take precautions.
Previous Topic: Big name stores being hacked
Next Topic: Humidifier?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:27:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout