Home » Audio » Speaker » PI One for Home Theater (PI One variation for Home Theater)
PI One for Home Theater [message #80267] Wed, 20 August 2014 09:31 Go to next message
Wayne1959 is currently offline  Wayne1959
Esquire
I am interested in replacing the front 3 speakers in my 5.1 setup. I am thinking of using the PI One tower with two woofers and the 2.5 crossover for the L/R mains. For the Center channel I am wondering if I build a Center Channel using an MTM arrangement with Eminence 6a woofers and the same Vifa DX25 tweeter, can I use the same crossover. My setup doesn't allow for a center channel to use a tower configuration.

My thinking is that the voicing of the L/R and Center would be very consistent.

Any input is appreciated.
Re: PI One for Home Theater [message #80268 is a reply to message #80267] Wed, 20 August 2014 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That sounds like a good plan, but it is definitely a new design effort. There are enough mods there you'll want to go through a design/test cycle to verify your work.

Have you considered going the route of three π or four π mains with flanking subs? The one π and two π speakers are really nice, but I personally prefer them for surounds than as mains. They do make nice mains, don't get me wrong, but for home theater, I just prefer having a little more oomph.

Re: PI One for Home Theater [message #80270 is a reply to message #80268] Wed, 20 August 2014 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I am limited on the space available. The dual woofer PI One Tower has been written about previously with the needed crossover change. I was hoping that the similarity in frequency response for the 8a and 6a would allow the same crossover to be utilized.

The topic PI One Studio Tower is posted in the PI Speaker forum that I am referring to It talks about the PI Tower that FredT built. You had suggested a 2.5 crossover with a second 8a. The tower he built is 4" too tall for my situation. By reducing the height of the tower from 38 to 34 I will lose some bass extension but not enough to worry about. With the AVR that I have now the sub takes over at 100hz.

Would the Center Channel using the 6a and DX25 be worth pursuing. using WinISD it lists a box of 33 liters with two 6as and tuning frequency of 88hz. Additionally would a 2.5 configuration be of any value with this?
Re: PI One for Home Theater [message #80275 is a reply to message #80270] Fri, 22 August 2014 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It all sounds interesting, and I think you can make it work pretty well. But I think I'd rather keep the midwoofer in the center channel the same as the L/R mains, if possible. The midwoofer has a large influence on the overall voicing of the loudspeaker.

Re: PI One for Home Theater [message #80276 is a reply to message #80267] Fri, 22 August 2014 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Looking at the Eminence enclosure recommendations they list a sealed box of 17.7 liters for one 8a with an fs of 73 hz.. With that in mind would it then be feasible to create Center Channel enclosure with double the volume and use an MTM configuration with the Tweeter offset toward the top of the horizontal enclosure and use the 2.5 crossover or the standard crossover for the PI One?
Re: PI One for Home Theater [message #80278 is a reply to message #80276] Sat, 23 August 2014 09:02 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That sounds reasonable. Let us know how it works out!

Previous Topic: Is High End Always Better?
Next Topic: Sound bar for the television
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:59:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout