Home » xyzzy » Tower » The trials of getting something fixed
The trials of getting something fixed [message #80226] Wed, 23 July 2014 20:42 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I recently had one of my Origin Live tonearms partially dissemble itself. Clearly it was not assembled properly as the issue was in the horizontal bearing assembly. Bad enough, but the only way to get it fixed was send it back to OL. They are in England. So they say send it to them. Express International mail was $63. Supposed to get there in 3-5 days. It was .... at least to the UK Customs area. It spent 6 days there. Then it was turned over to their Post Office. I got notice today from the Express mail automatic tracking that the PO notified the intended receiver that "funding" was due. Gads it seems they want to charge for import duty on something that came from there and is being sent back clearly marked for "repair". I doubt that this is the end of the saga. I suspect that I will be out the cost of return postage and perhaps repairs as it is just over 18 months old. Adding "duty" to that is an insult.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The trials of getting something fixed [message #80227 is a reply to message #80226] Thu, 24 July 2014 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've run into that too. Most countries do not charge import/export duties for repair items or for returned items. But they don't trust the shipper to be honest about it, so in practice, this waiver is never realized. It's frustrating.

Beyond that, I always wince when sending certain things to the repair shop. The ones I have the most trouble letting go of are cars and electronic devices. If I'm really familiar with something, I usually have my own way of handling it and sometimes I find myself kind of picky about it. So if I have a time crunch and cannot deal with it myself, it's really hard for me to let go of it and trust it to a shop.

Re: The trials of getting something fixed [message #80233 is a reply to message #80227] Fri, 25 July 2014 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Well...they paid the duty however much it was. They didn't say. Have you ever had the feeling you were about to get zinged for big dollars to get something back? I'm beginning to think along those lines. Then again all might turn out well. I'll keep you posted.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The trials of getting something fixed [message #80236 is a reply to message #80233] Mon, 28 July 2014 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hope they value you as a customer, want to support you for ongoing return business and all that jazz...

Re: The trials of getting something fixed [message #80245 is a reply to message #80236] Tue, 05 August 2014 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, a follow up. They shipped the arm back. It was fixed and even had new tone arm wires. Nice job. They did not send any bill and it must have cost a bit as the arm came back airmail express (ouch) and there was some amount of customs duty on it at the UK end. My thanks to them. The arm works great now.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The trials of getting something fixed [message #80248 is a reply to message #80245] Wed, 06 August 2014 09:44 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, excellent! That's great news!

Previous Topic: Missing Game of Thrones already!
Next Topic: Powerr saws and BBQ Grills
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:10:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout