Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi - Tilting speaker up for better on axis response and time alignment
2Pi - Tilting speaker up for better on axis response and time alignment [message #80224] Mon, 21 July 2014 08:43 Go to next message
CRISTIAN M is currently offline  CRISTIAN M
Chancellor

Hello again Wayne !

I just hope I'm not bothering you too much already Very Happy , so I guess this will be my last question before start building the speakers.

Since I will not be able to build the tower versions, I wonder if tilting the front of the speakers upwards a bit would help with the "on axis" response of the tweeter at ear level of a seated or even a standing person.

In my specific case, I figured out that slanting the design 10º would help have tweeters rougly on axis of a person seating 12' away from the speakers...

...but in other forums some people mentioned that some tweeters don't behave well when perfectly on axis (dips at some frequencies), so I wonder what's your opinion on the VIFA's on this regard.

Also I don't know if this will be beneficial or detrimental for the time alignment of the tweeter/woofer combo (maybe this is already accomplished electrically with the crossover).

Your thoughts are higly appreciated !

C.
Re: 2Pi - Tilting speaker up for better on axis response and time alignment [message #80225 is a reply to message #80224] Mon, 21 July 2014 14:05 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The speakers are best when listened to on-axis, but horizontal movement up to about 30° is fine too. Further off-axis horizontally gives smooth HF rolloff, so it doesn't get "ugly," it just loses top end.

Vertical movement is another story. You'll run into vertical nulls above and below the speaker, so you really want to listen to them on-axis in the vertical plane. Side-to-side movement is OK, but up-and-down movement is not. Best sound is when you are facing the speakers, somewhere in the general area between woofer and tweeter. You can always put the speakers on stands to raise them to ear level.

By the way, the standard two π model doesn't have the bass that the towers have, so if these are going to be your main speakers, I'd suggest augmenting them with subs.

Previous Topic: Pi 2 plan request
Next Topic: 1 pi and 2 pi tower and 12 pi hornsub plans request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:07:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout