Home » Audio » Group Build » Buy or Build? (Do you prefer building from scratch or buying?)
Buy or Build? [message #80094] Sat, 14 June 2014 13:54 Go to next message
Harlow is currently offline  Harlow
Chancellor
I'm wondering how many people prefer building from scratch, or buying? Any product. But for example, for those of you who have built speakers from scratch, do you find you get a better end result than if you had bought them? I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to build certain products, or if there's a big difference in the quality of the end result.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #80095 is a reply to message #80094] Sat, 14 June 2014 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I build everything except speakers. I have done a few in the past, but when I re-discovered electrostatics I decided that the manufacturer (Martin Logan) did a far better job than I could. Thus ended my thoughts of speaker building. I have done some upgrades on ones like replacing the capacitors in some vintage Klipsch and Altec Lansings but generally I'm out of that stuff now. Power amps, preamps, phono stages, turntables and reel to reel recorders are now fair game.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Buy or Build? [message #80109 is a reply to message #80094] Thu, 19 June 2014 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rachel is currently offline  Rachel
Chancellor
I'm not very good at building things from scratch, no patience sadly. I get frustrated with it if it's not working out properly, so I buy.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #80499 is a reply to message #80095] Tue, 16 September 2014 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The Martin Logans are divine. I really, really like the Emerald Physics as well for a "conventional" speaker. Alas, I can probably only afford a set of Magnepan MMG Supers and to build some of John's Manzanitas.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #80501 is a reply to message #80499] Tue, 16 September 2014 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Yeah, I did however design and build some cheap open baffle speakers. They were published in the September Audio Express. A fun cheap and decent sounding project. It won't compare to John's, but then there is a bout a 20 to 1 cost difference.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Buy or Build? [message #80735 is a reply to message #80094] Tue, 21 October 2014 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blackbee045 is currently offline  blackbee045
Esquire
I can probably only afford a set of Magnepan MMG Supers and to build some of John's Manzanitas.

GuL
Re: Buy or Build? [message #81882 is a reply to message #80094] Mon, 04 January 2016 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chase is currently offline  Chase
Baron
I have a friend who is rebuilding a vintage Crosley Cathedral-style radio. He inherited one from his great-grandfather that had been passed down through the family. It has not worked for many years but he found a place where he could get original replacement parts.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #83880 is a reply to message #80094] Fri, 04 November 2016 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ssal is currently offline  Ssal
Viscount
I prefer buying but only because I have't learnt enough to be able to do it myself yet. But as soon as I can, I will be doing it all myself.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #83900 is a reply to message #80094] Sun, 06 November 2016 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decibel 12 is currently offline  decibel 12
Baron
When it comes to this, I'll build my own frames. That's it. You won't catch me building the speaker itself from scratch. They would end up pointing north with the sound going west. Laughing

Nothing good would come from it.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #83946 is a reply to message #83900] Sun, 20 November 2016 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
decibel 12 wrote on Sun, 06 November 2016 12:46
When it comes to this, I'll build my own frames. That's it. You won't catch me building the speaker itself from scratch. They would end up pointing north with the sound going west. Laughing

Nothing good would come from it.

This is hilarious. I am not so familiar with the specifics of building from scratch so I prefer to buy. If I ever got to the point where I can get good quality through building, I would definitely go with this option.
Previous Topic: Low Cost Phono Preamp for MM and LOMC
Next Topic: Precautionary Measures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:30:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout