Home » Audio » Group Build » Buy or Build? (Do you prefer building from scratch or buying?)
Re: Buy or Build? [message #86176 is a reply to message #80094] Fri, 22 September 2017 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
I've never really had the patience to build things from scratch even though I'd really like to. I've been trying to build up some more skills and patience so I can do this sort of thing. For now though, I just buy speakers.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #88305 is a reply to message #80094] Tue, 03 July 2018 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
Even though I have a background in physics, for me it is definitely buy. I think it would be quite challenging to compete with the big manufacturers in terms of quality, given all the time and money that they have to put into R&D and so on.

However, I would consider building just to learn by doing. I can see that it could be quite interesting, and it would broaden my understanding of the technology.

For those of you who have built, how do you find your built items compare with manufactured ones?
Re: Buy or Build? [message #88313 is a reply to message #88305] Tue, 03 July 2018 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I guess I fit into an unusual group. I design and build all my gear (going on 10 years now), but also make them for the diy / consumer communities. I'm half owner of a modest electronics company specializing in Diy kits. I have been told my kits are equal and sometimes better than anything like it. I agree, but then I am prejudiced. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Buy or Build? [message #88417 is a reply to message #80094] Mon, 09 July 2018 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
I buy most things and then try to configure or fix them when they are broken. I like to try building things from scratch, but I might end up throwing it in the end. My father loved to tinker with things, but I guess I never inherited that from him.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #88422 is a reply to message #88417] Tue, 10 July 2018 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm a semi constructor. Starting out in the mid 80's building a Hafler amplifier kit that I still use for home theater now. I picked up some wood butchering experience and started to build speakers from plans. When I got interested in tube gear I built my monoblock amps from a kit and felt confident enough to build from a schematic to do a pre amplifier. I've never progressed to the point of design and build but feel satisfied to have found the diy designers that made my sweat equity get a very high return on my outlay.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #88423 is a reply to message #88417] Tue, 10 July 2018 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm a semi constructor. Starting out in the mid 80's building a Hafler amplifier kit that I still use for home theater now. I picked up some wood butchering experience and started to build speakers from plans. When I got interested in tube gear I built my monoblock amps from a kit and felt confident enough to build from a schematic to do a pre amplifier. I've never progressed to the point of design and build but feel satisfied to have found the diy designers that made my sweat equity get a high return on outlay.
Re: Buy or Build? [message #88510 is a reply to message #80094] Wed, 25 July 2018 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lindzz is currently offline  Lindzz
Chancellor
Depends on what it is. If I am going to put it in plain sight, I prefer buying because I like things that look good. But I do think building is fun (even though I'm not that great yet). And definitely can't build from scratch yet!
Re: Buy or Build? [message #93979 is a reply to message #80094] Sun, 04 July 2021 01:29 Go to previous message
Beck is currently offline  Beck
Viscount
I'm into figuring how stuff works, but building from scratch barely crossed my mind. I​ buy almost everything because I'm afraid that the materials I'll use in creating something might go to waste.
Previous Topic: Low Cost Phono Preamp for MM and LOMC
Next Topic: Precautionary Measures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:44:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout