Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Home Theater Setup and 1 Pi Plans
Home Theater Setup and 1 Pi Plans [message #80040] Thu, 05 June 2014 11:35 Go to next message
Quiet_Storm is currently offline  Quiet_Storm
Esquire
I've owned a pair of 4 pis with 3 pi subs for a few years now, and I absolutely love them. I use them for music only with some Bottlehead tube amps. Now I'm getting the itch to expand the setup into a 4.2 surround sound home theater setup as well with a selector switch for the subwoofer amp RCA cables and banana plugs to manually switch the 4 pis.

Does anyone have any experience with the Denon X series receivers? I'm considering waiting for the X2100 that's about to come out, so I can have HDMI 2.0 and wireless (my modem isn't near my audio setup). However, I'm pretty disappointed that despite being a 7.2 receiver, the subwoofer output is just a single output with a Y splitter unless you move up to the X4xxx series. I love the separate subs for music, but I'm guessing it's less critical for movies. Has anyone had any experience with true left and right sub outputs?

For the new surrounds, I'm thinking about going with 1 pis. It sounds like there's not a dramatic difference between the 1 pis and 2 pis, and the 1 pis will fit much better in my room. Unfortunately, I can't put them on stands and reflect them off the side walls as Wayne recommended in another thread. I'll have to wall mount them at the back of them room to the left and right of the couch along the back wall. My first instinct is to place them above the listener and slightly angled down, but I'm open to suggestions.

Wayne, can I get a copy of the 1 pi plans, so I can get started on my shopping list? Also, what are the tolerances like on your cabinet dimensions. It looks like if I cheat and make the cabinets 11 15/16" wide, I might already have enough veneer on hand to finish them.
Re: Home Theater Setup and 1 Pi Plans [message #80041 is a reply to message #80040] Thu, 05 June 2014 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

Re: Home Theater Setup and 1 Pi Plans [message #80043 is a reply to message #80041] Thu, 05 June 2014 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quiet_Storm is currently offline  Quiet_Storm
Esquire
Thanks! It looks like the dimensions are all slightly larger than those listed on the specs page, so I'll have to buy one additional sheet of veneer.

Also, the design calls for 5/8" panels. I can only readily get 1/2" or 3/4" mdf. Should I go with the 3/4" and increase the dimensions to maintain the inside dimensions?
Re: Home Theater Setup and 1 Pi Plans [message #80046 is a reply to message #80043] Fri, 06 June 2014 06:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, that would be fine.

Previous Topic: 7Pi Audition in Western Canada, WA or OR late June?
Next Topic: Mid horn flat pack
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 08:14:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout