Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Asymmetrical walls for Pi7
Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #79904] Thu, 01 May 2014 23:24 Go to next message
compaddict is currently offline  compaddict
Viscount
I have an opening on one side of my long (front) wall that is 52" and the other is 56"
Is that enough to make the magic work?
Will the four inch difference make bad things happen?
Re: Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #79905 is a reply to message #79904] Fri, 02 May 2014 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I doubt that will matter at all. But you are right to consider the room symmetry, because that is important for constant directivity cornerhorns.

You want the first six to eight feet to have unobstructed wall space, and to have no openings. You can have some differences in features, things like closed windows, paintings, even small shelves don't hurt. But large openings kill it, and some furniture can too. Things like having a sofa along one wall can create enough absorption in the midrange to shift the balance, or a table on one side can make an unusual reflection that also shifts the balance. Imaging suffers when those kinds of things are in the way.

Re: Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #79906 is a reply to message #79904] Fri, 02 May 2014 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
This is a drawing of my room. I left out the drafting lines.
The apex is 2.5 feet in front of the listening area.
Will this room work well or should I look at a different solution?
TIA,
Vince
Re: Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #79912 is a reply to message #79906] Sun, 04 May 2014 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCDC is currently offline  JCDC
Baron
compaddict wrote on Fri, 02 May 2014 14:47
This is a drawing of my room. ...

Hey Vince, add the things that Wayne talked about to your drawing:
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 02 May 2014 11:00

You want the first six to eight feet to have unobstructed wall space, and to have no openings. You can have some differences in features, things like closed windows, paintings, even small shelves don't hurt. But large openings kill it, and some furniture can too. Things like having a sofa along one wall can create enough absorption in the midrange to shift the balance, or a table on one side can make an unusual reflection that also shifts the balance. Imaging suffers when those kinds of things are in the way.

Are the openings windows/doors/entranceways, are they closeable? Big furniture items: couch, stuffed arm chair, shelf etc ... Listening positions (all)?

Then Wayne can give you "custom" advice!
Re: Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #79913 is a reply to message #79912] Sun, 04 May 2014 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd rather have a little more distance in the flanking walls, but that's enough to work pretty well. I think it'll sound great.

Re: Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #79916 is a reply to message #79904] Sun, 04 May 2014 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Not much in the room. A very short equipment rack centered on the front wall, a very long leather couch on the back wall and a projector on the eight foot ceiling. No windows.
I can extend the two walls if I need to.
Re: Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #79955 is a reply to message #79916] Wed, 14 May 2014 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
And where is a good place for subs?
I'm guessing right in front?
Re: Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #79956 is a reply to message #79955] Wed, 14 May 2014 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Set them up per Welti or Geddes.

When you get to four bass sound sources (or more), it almost doesn't matter where you put them. So put them where convenient.

Re: Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #80025 is a reply to message #79956] Sun, 01 June 2014 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Martin Logan CLS sold!
Getting ready to order parts...
Re: Asymmetrical walls for Pi7 [message #80030 is a reply to message #80025] Mon, 02 June 2014 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Parts are ordered.
Previous Topic: 2226h on craigslist SAC
Next Topic: 7Pi placement in my room
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:10:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio